Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a conversion to a one piece drive shaft?
if so, can you post information about the parts, the process, and your thoughts on the conversion?
specifically, has the "clunk" been reduced?

·
Registered
CTS-V SERIES
700 Posts
I don't think anyone has done it yet, but it has been talked about before "do a search" And the "clunk noise" comes from the trans or the rear end. it's when you put torque on the trans or rear end it fills the play in the trans or the rear end, thats what i believe. but i've looked long and hard at the v's drive shaft and it looks as it needs help.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V
442 Posts
The clunk comes from the dual mass flywheel that is 2 piece design with springs. Replace with a solid flywheel and there is no more clunk.

Jack

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
"The Clunk" comes from not just one thing, but many. It starts from the dual-mass flywheel and ends...well, it never ends. Let's just say that if you did everything needed to rid yourself of "The Clunk", you'd have a much lighter wallet.

There are endless posts on the clunk, but not many involving a one-piece shaft...but it would help.

Be good,
Tom

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
In a month or so, I will have a 1 piece driveshaft, along with 2.5 in. diam. halfshafts and a C3 Vette rear......pix to follow.

F

·
Registered
CTS-V SERIES
700 Posts
its the play in the rear or the tran. the drive shaft has the play and the fly wheel gives no play so it cant clunk as much, thats what i think. the drive shaft does not move freely so then there is no clunk on the drive shaft and "less" clunk.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
its the play in the rear or the tran. the drive shaft has the play and the fly wheel gives no play so it cant clunk as much, thats what i think. the drive shaft does not move freely so then there is no clunk on the drive shaft and "less" clunk.

Oooohhhhh, I see! Thanks for clearin that one up fer me. Makes perfect sense now.

Man, do I love reading your posts! Does a great job of clearin the cranial sinuses. Do another one! Again! One more time. Please!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts