Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So this is my first post, but certainly won't be my last. I just picked up my new CTS-V this week, and I LOVE IT! Only thing is I have already discovered a very annoying problem that is so perplexing, I had to share it here to see if anyone could figure it out, and trust me, I am scratching my head perplexed!

So, every night since I have had the car, I have been awoken by the car suddenly blaring it's horn for a minute or so straight. Not a car alarm, no beeping, flashing lights, just constant horn blare, and then it stops. It may be happening during the day too, but while I am at work, wouldn't notice. It has happened at 1am, 3:30am and last night at 4am. what made last night more interesting was I had pulled the fuse to the horn, and verified it didn't work by pushing the horn on the wheel. So obviously this demon is powering itself. Any ideas? I am just laughing at how odd it is, but my neighbors are not! Please give me any ideas you have. For now I am just going to pull the cables to the horn.

Thanks!

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,081 Posts
That's why the previous owner sold it.

j/k I have no idea. Congrats on the new ride ... I think.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
:rofl:

I'm sorry that is probably the most hilarious problems you could possible have!

:welcome: and good luck!

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Hopefully not related, but a guy here at work left the top off his jeep overnight and we had a pretty bad storm. Next 2 days his horn would go off for a few mins at a time. he said it was pretty bad when in traffic, you could imagine how pissed you'd be in bumper to bumper and some jackass starts blaring his horn at you! lol Hopefully they didnt leave the sunroof open and get rain or something. Just unplug it. My exhaust is my horn!

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
971 Posts
You got any animals? They might be taken a spin in the wee hours. They could be walking over your keys, hitting the buttons. Stupid cats!!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac DTS Lux III 07, DHS 04, Allante 93 06 XLR Platinum
58 Posts
Look for a motion sensor. Maybe someone is having fun at your expense. Doug-J

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
I'm picturing being in traffic and your horn just sits there going off.....:histeric: Ok sorry but that's hilarious.

Have you tried unplugging battery overnight? (hopefully reset)

How random is that!?! Damn gremlins

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
21 Posts
When I first got my V the horn would randomly go off while driving. It was actually quite amusing. I'd be driving down the highway and all of a sudden the horn would go off and it wouldn't stop until I pushed the steering wheel in just the right way. Everyone would quickly move out of my way and I would have the road to myself :) I eventually pulled the horn fuse under the hood until I had a chance to take it into the dealer. In my case it turned out to be the horn contacts in the steering wheel not seated properly.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Stealth Grey
65 Posts
A friend of mine in high school had a sweet ride... a Dodge Omni. Well, it worked most of the time, which passes for a sweet ride in high school.

However, the wires for the horn apparently would come in contact with something when the car pitched forward when you hit the brakes. Pretty much every time. *Brake HONK* *Brake HONK*. Hilarious. Except, he lived at the bottom of a huge hill, and the whole bottom half of the hill was the center of the "rough" side of town. Every time he drove down that hill, all the gangbangers on their porches would stand up and give him the stink-eye, reaching for something in their belts. :bomb: Yeah, like someone would honk when they were doing a drive-by.

Anyway, he usually would just try to hold off the brakes as long as possible, and squeal up on two wheels (in his Dodge Omni!) around the corner, or take a long detour.

Hopefully there aren't any gangbangers in your neighborhood.

Sound like a loose wire/contact/short problem, as previously mentioned. Worst case, you could unplug the wires at the horn assemblies. How often do you use the horn? Just carry a .45 in case you need to get someone's attention. :lildevil:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys! yea, I agree, my worry was that it was going to happen while I was driving, and then everyone would get pissed off at me about it. Funny thing is something like that happened to me a year ago in my WRX... I had change in hand to throw into a toll booth on my way to Philly, and the funniest thing, I dropped a quarter and it fell right in the crack where the airbag/horn assembly split from the rest of the wheel, and for a week, before I finally could fish it out, every time I turned the wheel, it would honk the horn. That really confused the people in front of me on the road. I think I am going to yank all the leads to the horn assembly for now, and follow it back to the relay as mentioned... it has to be grounding somewhere along the way.

After thinking about it today, the only commonality of it happening at 3 to 4am is that it was coolest at that part of night, and wires proabably condensed and made contact, and then heated up again with the electricity flowing through them, which explains why it stopped on it's own too!

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
glad you're stuck with that problem and not me.

at least all my V problems have explanations:
the differential whines because it sucks.
the sail panels keep sagging because the bracket design sucks
etc.

i haven't been able to blame anything on the supernatural just yet, but i think you should contemplate burning the car.

the ultimate test would be to take the battery out, and CUT the wires going to the horns. or just remove them entirely. if the horn still blares, it's time to sell the car again :)

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
I have to admit this is a funny problem....almost like someone wiring your horn to your brake lights :histeric:
Thanks for the idea...sounds like a nice project for the ex's car...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking of names for her, and Christine was exactly what came to mind! I went ahead and just pulled the wire harness from the horn unit and she was quiet last night... guess I gagged her, now she might get mad. On visual inspection of the wires, it looks like someone may have removed an aftermarket alarm system, and that might have been where the grounding is occuring. I will have to get under it and follow the wires a bit.

Oh, and now that you mention it Mystical, my sail panels are sagging too. :(

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,081 Posts
... On visual inspection of the wires, it looks like someone may have removed an aftermarket alarm system, and that might have been where the grounding is occuring ...
Bingo!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts