Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...is to catch sight of people you hated in Jr./Sr. high school, who were trash then (and raised to be trash) -- and come to find out -- are even bigger pieces of moldy river dweller white trash now.

Karma can be a real vicious bitch....:sunnynana:

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
There are things I like, and things I dislike about it.

ON the one hand you get to see what old friends that you haven't seen in years are up to. It makes the point of HS reunions moot IMO. On the other hand you have to be VERY careful about what you post, because you never know who's reading.

I like may have been guilty in taking pleasure in the fact that the years haven't been very kind to an ex-GF or two. I've found that with very little exception, people that only post pics of their children and/or pics of themselves when they were in HS 15 years ago are in rough shape in real life.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering. Additionally, Facebook and Myspace are explicitly blocked on any network I'm responsible for.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering. Additionally, Facebook and Myspace are explicitly blocked on any network I'm responsible for.
Why is that? Excessive apps and spam?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
I'd be interested to know as well. I use FB to share pics of the kids with my huge family without emailing every single one of them, and don't install any of their crap apps (Farmville, Mafia Wars, etc).

Is it just the apps that clog up a computer, or is there something else nefarious at work I should know about?

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts
If you use Facebook at all I refuse to work on your PC. Just in case you were wondering.
Seems as if you'd be missing out on a large portion of the market?

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
It's a virus haven, just like AOL used to be.

I guess I was a little harsh. Although it is in fact blocked on any network I manage, outside the enterprise, I do work on PC's that have Facebook crap all over them. Usually they're hosed up pretty hard.

It's money but it's frustrating as hell.

I know they're not the only ones but they're the current ones. Years ago it was AOL, then it was MySpace, which BTW I was the original owner of that domain name :). Now it's Facebook. I'm sure next week it'll be something else.

The long and short is that social networking sites are the perfect place for viruses and spyware to spread without much human intervention.

·
Registered
2006 STS N* 1SE
2,399 Posts
It's a virus haven, just like AOL used to be.
I think it's more accurate to say it's a 'phishing' haven. Facebook doesn't deliver virii directly, but it does provide an open market for bad guys to lure users away from Facebook to their own virus/malware delivery sites.

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
I have read that some viruses embed themselves in web pages. For a couple days, I got 'AntispywareXP2009' (a popular scareware program) every time I visited this site. Yahoo news and Liveleak.com were 2 other sites that did the same thing for a brief period.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I enjoy facebook, it is fun to meet up with people that you haven't heard from in 30 years or so.
I have come back into contact with a few girls that I knew in Jr. High. One was a big crush I had and another one that I knew her mom killed herself when we were sophomores and I never saw her again. The first one only posts intermittently but I know her parents and they are friends of my family so I keep them posted about my dad. I rarely meet new people on there, and I restrict access to everything to "friends only".
I like to share about my kids and my family. Almost my whole family is on it and it is easy to keep in touch with people you might not otherwise hear from.

I have clicked things that have set off my anti-virus software and a lot of people I know have gotten hit by some pretty tough viruses by clicking on apps.
I only do 2 now, farmville and farm town and I haven't done farm town for a while because I keep losing crops... :lol:

It is kind of fun, my wife won't let me post any photos of her but I like to post up pics of the kids for Grandma.

·
Registered
2007 E92 BMW 335i
10,761 Posts
Facebook is great. I was recruited for a previous job through it, and have gotten some photography work from it. I'm not obsessed to the point where I update my status multiple times a day though or things like that, I couldn't care less about telling the internet what I'm doing right now. But it is a powerful tool when used in certain ways.

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts
I use facebook to connect and reconnect with people from all aspects of my life. Friends from Jr. High/freshman year of high school (I moved after that), friends from the rest of high school (I moved soon after), friends from various online games, even an entire group dedicated to CF people. Facebook is a great site to get to know people with similar interests. It's great, IMO.

I just don't click stupid crap. lol

I usually update my status throughout the day, but mostly to let friends on campus know whether or not I'm in my dorm, etc. Or to post random things I find that I like (those rims in my last post... :drool:)

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Facebook is awesome. A day without Facebook is a day I don't care to live in. It's a great way to stay connected with friends, old and new, and further progress acquaintances you want to know more about. I used to not want to add clients and coworkers, but now I don't care, I'm actually having fun with that aspect of it.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Oh man, some of the steamy bikini pictures I've seen. :drool: Don't lie guys, we all do it!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, one thing I HATE -- is people who (in my case being from St. Louis) -- MUST Tweet-Link the play-by-play of EVERY F-Ing Cardinals game. I have about 4 people that do it, and it annoys the piss out of me. I'm about to either hide or defriend them, because it's just sad. I need to just blanket status update "STFU about the Cards!"

1 - 20 of 49 Posts