Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guess what I was doing tonight? It had nothing to do with Cadillacs but it was cool just the same. Yep, that's a B-17, and yes I went for a flight in it. You'll have to excuse the hair in the shot with me in it, since I was hanging out the top of the plane taking pictures and it REALLY messed up my hair. ;) The shot of me was in the nose turret. I got a ton of pictures. This was a dream come true. :D

·
Registered
87 Deville
630 Posts
WOW!
Looks like you had some live ammo too, Was this one of those FOSS Top Secret air raids or something? :spin:

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
hehe , yah they were attcking the newly formed SSOF allaince , of which they missed and leveled the singlewide next door

on the reals tho i envy you dude , thats is just badass

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Stoneage_Caddy said:
hehe , yah they were attcking the newly formed SSOF allaince , of which they missed and leveled the singlewide next door

on the reals tho i envy you dude , thats is just badass

We must destroy the Evil Empire at all cost!!!!:p

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
6 to be exact. This plane, and a B-24 are owned/operated by the Collins Foundation. They fly them all over and give small groups the opportunity to go flying in them. When I heard about it, I called and booked the flight. It's $400/half hour flight but virtually any price would've been just fine by me. I've always had a love of war birds like these. I worked on and flew in a number of different aircraft while in the Navy and I've never gotten over it.

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
$400 :eek: Dang!!!!

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Its worth it I'm sure. Sitting up in that nose cone had to be an unbelievable experience. You had to have thoughts of being a kid. I know I'd be pretending to shoot something down.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
That had to be GOLDEN.... (yeah, you knew it was coming :D )

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
That's pretty cool, Kat. :) Musta been a hell of a time! I'm glad you got to do it! Sometimes you just gotta go for things like that that'll make you happy. You'll be smilin' for weeks, I'm sure. :D Sweet, man. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I was thinking about doing that until I found out the price, I ended up flying a Cessna 172 with an instructor. I took off and landed too, it was $60 for an hour plane rental including paying the instructor.

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
Sweet!

My wife bought me a ride in The Warbird Air Adventures two years ago. I had some flying experience from my early days in college, and the pilot let me fly it for most of my ride. We did some rolls and loops and it was a blast. They make a video of your flight, and I bought it so I could take that flight again at any time. Well worth the $400 for the flight and video. The pilot asked me what I wanted to do, and I said "make me puke". We came close a few times. I'm glad I didn't eat before the filght, or I would have decorated the cockpit.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was absolutely amazing. The smell of the avgas, the sounds of those huge engines, the feel of the 180mph wind in your face when hanging out the observation port on top. All amazing! Oh yeah, and crawling up front to the nose turret and then sitting in the chair with nothing in front of you or under you but the clear dome, just incredibile! Those planes were way smaller inside than I ever thought. Those guys that flew in those planes were my kind of guys. God I would've loved to have been there. After riding in the B-17, I know why they have the reputation they have. That's a hell of a bird. Even at 60+ years old, she was solid as a rock!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
They're in the process of re-restoring our Memphis Belle. They're going to move it to a permanent indoor museum within the year. Should be pretty nice when they're done.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
Katshot said:
Those guys that flew in those planes were my kind of guys. God I would've loved to have been there.
My grandfather and my great uncle were both B-17 pilots. My great uncle has a whole room in his house dedicated to B-17's. I was just talking to him last week about flying them and he was telling me about getting back from 20 hour missions, going to the mess hall because they hadn't eaten in 20 hours, being given the lovely combo of whiskey and sleeping pills before bed, and then having to wake up for another 20 hour mission 3 hours later. He said they were zombies. He wrote an award winning book about it called Ash Wednesday `45 by Frank Robert Westie.
(Plus he's a cadillac man, I gotta scan some pics of his caddy to get up here, its gorgeous.)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
857 Posts
That looked like it would have been totally exciting!!!!!! Not something you do everyday! Very cool Kevin! ;) I like you hair in the picture... :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts