Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My On-Star feature has expired and was wondering if I should renew it? Will it really tell me my tire pressure, etc. like I see on the tv commercial?

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
OnStar tells me my tire pressure each month, or course a push of the button on the truck tells me that too. I have OnStar for the phone funtion, use it everyday. :)

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
I use ONSTAR for my phone (Verizon) all the time. It is great. It is also great for airbag notification, emergency service, etc.

Be careful about authorizing them to moniter and email you vehicle info. Seems like they are doing you a favor. I think what they are really doing is monitering to see if you abuse/fail to maintain the vehicle which might be related to warrantee issues. If you don't give them permission to moniter, they don't do it - at least not now. They get your permission by asking: "can we have your email so that we may notify you of any issues with your vehicle and update you monthly...blah blah blah". Really, I am not paranoid by nature, but I believe this to be true. I heard an unverified story about a GM vehicle being driven recklessly (ie. rental car being beaten), and ONSTAR rung into the phone to see if everything was ok because vehicle had repeatedly exceeded acceptable lateral G specs. I can't confirm this is true (and it might be pure hogwashj), but for me, better safe than sorry. Especially since I know when to change my oil and check my tires!

·
Registered
2002 Escalade, 2004 Cts-V, 2006 Hummer H3
635 Posts
we've had a plethora of gm vehicles that have come with onstar in my house, we've never re-newed it once! nor do I think I ever would.

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Put a magnetic key box somewhere on the vehicle in case you lock your keys in and foget-aboudit.

URBY, how Tony Soprano of you to unplug the wires from that tracking thingy to keep the man from tracking you down. (tinfoil hat smiley) >>
;)

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
Great Fun! In the middle of nowhere in Alaska, call OnStar and say, "I'm lost, where am I". The silence on the other end of the line is deafening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You guys are too paranoid. GM doesn't monitor your driving habits nor do they care if you maintain your vehicle. The would like you to go in for oil changes and regular maintenance so they make money. As far as Lateral G monitor? Mmmm no, I don't think so. Roll over, yes, that's why there are vehicle controls, anti slip/traction control , airbag deployment notification etc...Stop being so paranoid. If you use your onstar, renew it, if not, don't.

·
Premium Member
17 XTS Platinum V-Sport; 17 Buick Envision AWD Turbo; 10 Lincoln MKS AWD Twin Turbo
3,745 Posts
You guys are too paranoid. GM doesn't monitor your driving habits nor do they care if you maintain your vehicle...Stop being so paranoid. .
You work for ONSTAR don't you! That is what they told you to tell us! It all makes perfect sense now...... :eek:

I am with Urby, disconnect the cables if you don't need it for the phone. I always pulled the fuse when I used to use Superchips to custom tune my Tahoe. The instructions told me to. Otherwise, GM would know you were fiddling with things you should not be fiddling with per warrantee.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Oh, so the helicopers and planes that have been following me around are OnStar, well that is good news, I thought it was the Police. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts