Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTS Coupe Performance Stick
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two On Star questions:

- The phone: does it work everywhere in your experience? Any dead spots?

- Vehicle Diagnostics: What is your experiece? Helpful or just a fun gizmo?

I find the diagnostics to be a bit to much like "Big Bro is watching" but could see some definate benes if it detects problems early.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,819 Posts
Phone service is fine although I admit I dont use it much. Most calls I get are via the Bluetooth connection to my cell phone.
As for diags - my only hope is that they do in fact read computer settings as a mechanic would in order to accurately report on the status of components. I have used it for several years going back to my 2004 Bonneville. Some folks say the tire pressure readings arent accurate but to the contrary, I find them wholly accurate.

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2008 CTS4, 1996 Eldorado ETC
89 Posts
I find that the phone in the CTS gets better reception than my personal cell phone. I believe this is due to better antenna and antenna placement and higher power cell radio.
As far as the Onstar vehicle diagnostics I think this is more of a gimic in that I think the car will display any errors through it's computer before you would find out through Onstar diagnostics.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both helpful comments, guys. Thanks.

I have a feeling reception is better on on Star phone...plus, I suspect, fewer dead zones.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I know a couple folks who swear the reception is better through onstar. I never used it.

I personally think the rest of it is a gimmick. $200/year is too much for it. I admit, remote start from my phone is very, very cool. But all winter, I only used it once. The keyfob was good enough. My change oil warning came on a little while back. Isn't that supposed to trigger an email or something? It never did for me.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
200 bucks sounds like a bit much. I've got a year to decide. I do have to say, I'm extremely impressed thus far. I've had several conversations with On Star staff; every call has been answered promptly by people who speak clear english and provide the requested info in a friendly manner. Plus I love the phone set up & operation. And having the emergency services tied in with GPS has appeal. We spend time along the NorCali coast where cell phone service is often non existant. Knowing I can push a button if I miss a curve & go over a cliff is comforting! :D

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
don't forget, you get a break on your auto insurance for having On*, that in itself almost pays for the safe and sound package.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
I don't get any onstar discount. State Farm does not offer it. I do get an anti-theft discount. Like kchevy said, it's a huge discount too :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts