Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
ATS 2014 A/W Premium A/W 2.0T
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this email from Cadillac about changes to the networks to 4G and OnStar runs on 2G so they will update the system. Does anyone know the details of the fix and how they are going to fix it? Is it only a software fix or do they have to change the CUE system entirely? The 2015 I believe has the 4G network system. Will I be able to get internet service from CUE? I have a 2014 ATS Premium AWD 2T and I love it. Here is a copy of the email.
I checked the onstar.ca website but it is very general in info and does not give the exact fix they are going to do.:bigroll:

You may not know it, but the OnStar®¹ service in your 2014 Cadillac ATS operates on what is commonly known as a 2G CDMA wireless network. Canadian wireless service providers have informed OnStar that they plan to decommission their 2G CDMA network services starting this year.
This means that to continue enjoying the safety, security and peace of mind you've come to count on from OnStar, your vehicle's hardware will need to be upgraded.
For a valuable OnStar customer like you, we've developed a hardware upgrade program² that will ensure any interruption to your OnStar service is minimal. We will contact you with complete program details as soon as your upgrade becomes available. No action is needed at this time.
Please visit onstar.ca for more information. OnStar is committed to making the upgrade process as convenient as possible.
Sincerely,
The OnStar team

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
A few years back when OnStar went from analog to digital they offered an upgrade for some older systems. It was not free so I would expect the same to 4G, they may tie it to a service commitment? Looks like you may have to wait for the program details.

·
Registered
2017 ATS 3.6 Performance Premium
242 Posts
I have gone through the order process and the new hardware is en route to my dealer. It is a free hardware replacement and it provides the WiFi capability found on the 2015s. It comes with 3gb of data service included and maybe some other things I forgot about. Hoping I can get it done at the dealer next week.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I have gone through the order process and the new hardware is en route to my dealer. It is a free hardware replacement and it provides the WiFi capability found on the 2015s. It comes with 3gb of data service included and maybe some other things I forgot about. Hoping I can get it done at the dealer next week.
If it was free, I'm guessing you are an existing OnStar customer, either the free 1st year or renewed, I'd think GM pretty much would have to pay for it if it was inside the year they pay for since they advertised it as part of the deal. And likely OnStar would do it for people who are paying customers. Will be surprised if they spring for upgrades to cars with no OnStar service unless the owner commits to service. The hardware for the upgrade probably costs them less than $50. Have no idea how much labor is involved.

The NSA isn't going to be too happy. I'm sure we spy on Canadians and 2G is MUCH easier to eavesdrop in on than LTE.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my answer from OnStar today. They will send the hardware to my dealer for installation. Here are some of the highlights including WiFi. Yaaaa Whoo.

OnStar will provide and install this new hardware at no cost to you.
Once installed, your upgraded hardware will allow you to continue using OnStar service and provide you with several exciting new features to keep you even better connected on the road, including:

- Powerful 4G LTE connectivity, providing a fast and reliable connection1
- An in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot2, which allows you to connect up to seven laptops, tablets or mobile devices and includes 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3
- Up to 5 years of connectivity with our Basic Plan†, which includes limited features of the RemoteLink mobile app and monthly Vehicle Diagnostics emails

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 Premium RWD
443 Posts
I got my answer from OnStar today. They will send the hardware to my dealer for installation. Here are some of the highlights including WiFi. Yaaaa Whoo.

OnStar will provide and install this new hardware at no cost to you.
Once installed, your upgraded hardware will allow you to continue using OnStar service and provide you with several exciting new features to keep you even better connected on the road, including:

- Powerful 4G LTE connectivity, providing a fast and reliable connection1
- An in-vehicle Wi-Fi hotspot2, which allows you to connect up to seven laptops, tablets or mobile devices and includes 3 months or 3GB of complimentary data3
- Up to 5 years of connectivity with our Basic Plan†, which includes limited features of the RemoteLink mobile app and monthly Vehicle Diagnostics emails
are you a current paying member?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I have the Security plan now. I am wondering what extra cost for the WiFi bandwidth or is it part of the package?

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
When I got my new car they told me the wi-fi would be $60/month but it had to be connected to one of their partner companies and would be added as a new line. The one I remember was AT&T. I use Metro PCS and they said I would have to get a data line with one of their carriers. I tried it once because I thought it was a cool idea, but to tell the truth, while it worked well, I can't imagine I would ever use it.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
When I got my new car they told me the wi-fi would be $60/month but it had to be connected to one of their partner companies I tried it once because I thought it was a cool idea, but to tell the truth, while it worked well, I can't imagine I would ever use it.
I would have no use. I already have unlimited without paying OnStar a penny. Every phone in the family provides a WiFi hotspot for up to 8 devices. So our tablets, laptops, etc already have internet over LTE in any car any of us are in. And at no contract $22/mo per line ($50 + $30 for the first two then $10 each for the rest) for unlimited calls, text and data, you gotta love the un-carrier.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I finally got around to having the upgraded hardware installed in my ATS yesterday. It seemed a big job and required several hours. When I picked up the car there was a hang tag on the mirror announcing that I now had WiFi along with instructions as to how to activate it.

I followed the instructions and CUE displayed the name of the WiFi network and a password. Entered those in the iPhone and bingo!

In my case it is nice to have since I have a fairly limited data plan on my phone. I am on a 3-month free trial with the OnStar WiFi and then I guess I will get to see what they want to charge to keep the service.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
In my case it is nice to have since I have a fairly limited data plan on my phone. I am on a 3-month free trial with the OnStar WiFi and then I guess I will get to see what they want to charge to keep the service.
Not really understanding paying twice for something. I've had WiFi (up to 8 devices) network automatically with my phone anywhere, in or out of the car. It has unlimited data and works at LTE speed. Never had any problems or issues. I pay just $22/mo (each of 6 lines on the account) for this and unlimited voice and texts, with no contract. Is this CUE change just for people with bad phones and/or bad carriers?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any indication if this upgrade can be purchased for a U.S. Build 2014 xts? Did this also update the cue interface allowing for downloadable updates or new apps?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not really understanding paying twice for something. I've had WiFi (up to 8 devices) network automatically with my phone anywhere, in or out of the car. It has unlimited data and works at LTE speed. Never had any problems or issues. I pay just $22/mo (each of 6 lines on the account) for this and unlimited voice and texts, with no contract. Is this CUE change just for people with bad phones and/or bad carriers?
Understand that I am in Canada and there is far less competition in the comms world here. Our carriers generally offer very bad plans. In my case I get next to no data included in my base charge of $40 a month. 50 MB costs me another $10, etc. Yes, it is a bad plan but there is no other practical option until the time comes for a new phone. I look at this in much the same way as I looked at OnStar's cellphone service a few years ago. It was expensive but some people bought minutes from them anyway for reasons only they could explain.

From what I understand you can use the OnStar hotspot in a similar way to your phone's hotspot and charge the data to your phone plan. If there are advantages to that I am not tech-savvy enough to explain, but perhaps there are.

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Understand that I am in Canada and there is far less competition in the comms world here. Our carriers generally offer very bad plans. In my case I get next to no data included in my base charge of $40 a month.
I was speaking in general about the feature wherever its offered. Sorry to hear how bad things are in Canada. I just checked some of the plans and WOW.

From what I understand you can use the OnStar hotspot in a similar way to your phone's hotspot and charge the data to your phone plan. If there are advantages to that I am not tech-savvy enough to explain, but perhaps there are.
Maybe, sort of. I'm sure GM or OnStar have agreements with a few carriers such that you could ADD the car as a separate device to an existing plan, just as you might a laptop. The carrier MIGHT even let you share a pool of data between them, but there would still be the fees for having that second device, plus you would only be able to do that if you happen to use a carrier that OnStar has an agreement with. Not a very desirable situation for many.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T AWD
116 Posts
Understand that I am in Canada and there is far less competition in the comms world here. Our carriers generally offer very bad plans. In my case I get next to no data included in my base charge of $40 a month. 50 MB costs me another $10, etc. Yes, it is a bad plan but there is no other practical option until the time comes for a new phone. I look at this in much the same way as I looked at OnStar's cellphone service a few years ago. It was expensive but some people bought minutes from them anyway for reasons only they could explain.

I don't think the Americans realize how lucky they have it with their cheap cell phone plans! Up here in Canada we get roasted for our data usage.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium with Driver Assist & Adv Security
383 Posts
Also upgraded. The data cost thru OnStar is not great. You do get a better antenna behind the signal.

I get 8GB shared between phones for $60 per month from my carrier. Not sure of the incremental cost though. OnStar offers 5 GB for $60/month.

So the only attraction is the better antenna (signal strength) maybe?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts