Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the new exhaust but there is a problem with it. It's throwing codes! Too much flow on the cats so the diagnostic system thinks there is a problem.

If you like to work on your cars then this information is about one step away from useless. I want codes, not a system that says there is something wrong with your car, contact the dealer!

Sorry to bad mouth the On-Star system but I have not found anything usefull in this system yet. As with many things, the idea is great but the execution has fallen short. If you protest and think this is the best thing since heated toliet seats, please reply with examples.

When this service expires I doubt I will renew.

Example of message from the system...

Emissions Control System [—] Diagnostic Status: Complete. There may be an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request a GM Goodwrench Remote Diagnostic.
This system is responsible for limiting the emissions from the vehicle, both by keeping fuel and its vapor contained in the fuel system, as well as by limiting exhaust tail pipe emissions by ensuring efficient engine operation.
NOTE: If your vehicle's Check Engine/Service Engine Soon light is on or not working properly your vehicle requires service and may not pass your state's emission inspection program (if one exists).

Exhaust Emissions System [—] The engine exhaust emissions system uses sensors to monitor engine combustion to ensure the engine always runs at peak efficiency, producing the least amount of pollutants. By closely monitoring the engine exhaust and providing feedback to the engine computer, the engine can adjust performance to ensure it is producing the least amount of emissions possible. In the event that one of the system sensors detects a problem, the engine computer can turn on the Check Engine/Service Engine Soon light to indicate a malfunction. That information can also be sent to your OnStar Vehicle Diagnostic check to alert you that service is needed.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
5,329 Posts
Rob, if you contact OnStar they'll give you the actual code. They did for me, anyways (not protesting :D)

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey TaVern,

I contacted them once for a cam position sensor failure and what they told me was "There is a problem with your car, you should take it to the dealer as soon as possible" I asked for the code and they said it was not available. When she said this I was holding back but I was thinking about telling her "I'm sure glad you told me this or I would have continued to drive the V around while it ran like s*t...". Maybe I should have it would have been interesting to hear her response.

Maybe the person I was talking to didn't know what a Problem code was?

Thank you for the reply and I'm glad to hear it worked for you!

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
When I called OnStar after my headers threw a CEL, the rep told me that I had a code for Bank 1 + 2 Too Rich.

Love the service :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Better too rich then too lean! I'm guessing Rick is the one that fixed that problem for you... :lildevil:

Do you work for GM? This isn't meant bad in anyway, I just wonder if they give the GM employees a little more information :rolleyes:

·
26,239 Posts
Yes I do, but they have no way of knowing that. He gave me a vague "Emissions system" answer at first, but with a little prodding divulged more.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you were able to get more from them, it was no joy for me and I tried.

I think I will try again (now that I have another code) just to see if a different person can give me more information. If I could actually get the codes then it might be worth the investment for the on-star service.

BTW, what's it like working for one of the big 3? I have been out to Kokomo Indiana at the Delco Facility, pretty cool place.

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,705 Posts
Sounds like some scanning/tuning software is in your future. Get a hold of HPTuners for tuning and the scanner software comes with it. :)

Norm

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmmm....

I have been thinking hard about getting one of these but the cost has held me back a bit. Do you have one and how do you like it?

For new cars, The basic tools are good but you really need a Shop manual, A scanner (programmer is a plus), anything else?

A lift would be great but I think I would need to find a good attorney if I installed one of these. next buys will need to be the stealthy types like the scanner. When the wife asks about it I would reply "I didn't just get it, I have had it for years...:canttalk:

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
26,239 Posts
If Big Brother is watching me through my OnStar then they've gotten a good show. Some laps around the Gainesville road course, speeding, hard launches, and some 1g+ peak cornering forces. FYI- The gestapo has yet to leap out of my bushes to arrest me upon my arrival home to punish me for my wanton disregard for safety.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
ahhhh, Gainesville ala G-Ville...I went to U of F, home of Tom Petty and trash bags of shrooms...

Skeeter's Big Biscuits and plenty of watering holes not to mention voted top 3 partying school every year...Women? The best...

Thanks for the re-live T.

Chef

The gestapo has yet to leap out of my bushes to arrest me upon my arrival home to punish me for my wanton disregard for safety.
Give it time, they will. The big fish have been hit. Wrap yourself in aluminum foil for protection...*grin*

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Onstar?...:nono::helpless: Save you money for mods... Big Bruudah is watching...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTLQJPX9xJM
Onstar to Chef:
Sir there is a major problem with your engine.

Chef:
What do you mean its running fine

Onstar:
Sir the displacement is too large, I am calling you a tow truck right now please stay with your vehicle.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Most advisors won't give out specific codes to customers over the phone.
They are taught to send customers straight to the dealer if the car needs service.
It is a shame, but believe me... you don't want most of those folks diagnosing your car for you anyway.
They wouldn't give my mom the codes on her car, but I called them and told them who I was and where I worked and they quickly told me what the codes were. I don't recall the woman even asking me though.
Mom lives about 1,500 miles from here so it made it easy for me to help her.

If you put on high flow cats and you get a P0420 and/or a P0430 it is because of the strata in the Catalyst.
Not necessarily because it is flowing too well, but because it is not processing the gasses poperly.
For some reason all the aftermarket cats I have seen don't have strata that will pass the OE diagnostic test.

The pre cat sensors switch fairly rapidly and the catalyst bed is supposed to level out this switching and leave a fairly smooth pattern except under rapid changes in the throttle.
If the pattern on the post cat sensor matches closely (with a small lag time) the reading on the front sensor, the efficiency code will set.
Technically this puts the designer of your cat in violation of EPA regulations. They are supposed to engineer a catalyst that does the same job as the one you are replacing.
I have gone 'round and 'round on a couple of these.

If you don't want to see the light you'll have to reflash the PCM to ignore the post cat sensors or get some simulators... also technically a violation of the law.
I think it's not illegal.... if you don't get caught... right? ;)

Big brother would be more entertained by watching reruns of Friends than he would be watching where I go and what I do.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great info ewill.

I have not contacted On-Star yet for this problem and I had no intention of it. What happens is they send me an email monthly and since I have put on the LT's a while ago the snap shot caught my "emissions violation". I may call now with what I know and ask again. The last gal I talked to (When I had a failed cam sensor) said the codes were not available, does sound like she was lying to me and that really bugs me. Pay someone to lie to me wrong wrong wrong wrong............ The truth would have been much better "Sorry I have been instructed to not give out the codes". Even if I am an idiot, please don't treat me like one.

I do agree that most people shouldn't get these codes but I find it usless if I can't get the codes. I have used On-Star 3 times in about 10 month's. First time was to register, Second time was a phone call, the third time was to try and get the code for the failed cam sensor. If you do the math then that would be about $100 for each button push "IF" I had paid for an annual subscription. Only the phone call was even slightly useful the other two were a waste of time.

Points for the info on why the sensors don't work properly with the hi-flow cats, I learned something new.

I am looking into a tune and I will get this "Fixed" on a new PCM and leave the stock PCM unviolated. I decided to do this for a couple of reasons. I really like driving this car and if I send the PCM in for a tune I will be dead in the water until it's returned. The other reason is when it comes time to smog the car I will re-install the stock manifolds and cats (to put these back on my car will probably be one of the hardest things I will need to do on this car. Not because they are difficult to install but because I really like the headers!) to take the car in for smog. Orginal PCM goes back in the car.

Bottom line is it would be better for me to put the money toward a nice scanner then put it into a subscription for On-Star. If they won't give me the codes then I don't see the advantage to the service. If I don't re-up and I don't get the scanner then more money for mod's!

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with any comments about the On-Star system.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
If you put on high flow cats and you get a P0420 and/or a P0430 it is because of the strata in the Catalyst.
Not necessarily because it is flowing too well, but because it is not processing the gasses poperly.
For some reason all the aftermarket cats I have seen don't have strata that will pass the OE diagnostic test.

The pre cat sensors switch fairly rapidly and the catalyst bed is supposed to level out this switching and leave a fairly smooth pattern except under rapid changes in the throttle.
If the pattern on the post cat sensor matches closely (with a small lag time) the reading on the front sensor, the efficiency code will set.
Technically this puts the designer of your cat in violation of EPA regulations. They are supposed to engineer a catalyst that does the same job as the one you are replacing.
I have gone 'round and 'round on a couple of these.

If you don't want to see the light you'll have to reflash the PCM to ignore the post cat sensors or get some simulators... also technically a violation of the law.
I think it's not illegal.... if you don't get caught... right? ;)

Big brother would be more entertained by watching reruns of Friends than he would be watching where I go and what I do.
What header/cat/exhaust systems have you installed that do NOT create these issues. I have thinking about headers and/or a cat back system, but I would like to avoid emission issues if I can.

·
Registered
17,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi All,

Bottom line on On-Star is it's only as good as it's people.

I talked with On-Star last night and they told me there were 2 codes on the car and one could wait a week but the other stated I needed to go into the Dealer the next day. I asked for the codes and she said the Diagnostic department was closed and she didn't know what the codes are. It was 12:01 East coast time and they closed at 12:00.

So I decided to call in this morning and I actually hooked up with someone that was very helpful. She explained the problem and when I asked her for the codes she stated they were P0420 and P0430 and she didn't have to go to the diagnostics department to get this information, Hmmm..... Of course ewill was correct and I sure wish I was closer to Lindsay, Good parts department, good service department...

So the short of it is the system works but to get the right person to interact with is hit or miss.

So for those of you that stand by On-Star I understand now and for those of you who don't I understand as well.

I see a scanner in my future (need a smiley with a crystal ball!)

BTW, Thanks everyone for the info on the scanners, I will be checking into all of them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts