Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a very nice 1956 mercury 2 dr, hardtop for sale in my area, I have always liked these cars, have not seen it in the flesh, but
pics. look very nice, is anyone familar with the 312 engine, or any other info? Thanks.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,078 Posts
312 was a sedate, faithful engine and there are still parts for it readily available. It was the basis for the mid-50's "Thunderbird' engine and speed parts are everywhere - it can be built into a real screamer for dirt cheap. As far as a frame-up resto goes, that would be the cat's meow - sort of like an upscale '56 Ford Crown Victoria - I did one of those in baby blue and white with the crown strap. Trip deuces, progressive, and glasspacks.

Don't know - look at Year One and see if they have any sheet metal. RockAuto has engine parts.

here you go - drool over this 312 for a while. memories..............

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
For my money, I like the 1955 Montclair looks much better. That "Z" side molding doesn't really enhance the lines of that style Merc. But as Sub said would make a nice project. I do prefer them to the Crown Victorias of those two years.

1955: View attachment 101720

·
Registered
1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance, 2020 Santa Fe, 2003 Honda Reflex scooter
7,966 Posts
I am really digging that Z molding with the tu-tone that Vincent posted!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
Aye, Koz, and bet you've a few rattles about you too!
The oldtimer car clubs are not to celebrate those old clunkers but to celebrate surviving those old clunkers. We ran out of the real classics to restore years ago so the response is to go with anything we can find even if it was a POS the day it left the factory.

·
Premium Member
1997 ETC
5,008 Posts
IF i could, id get one to restore, i love the 50's Fords, growing up with a militant Ford man for a father, i love these cars..Id like a 58 Edsel too

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Each generation chooses its' own "classics" whether it is for cars, music or personalities. The "56 Crown Vic was certainly a "classic" of its' era every bit as much as the coach built Dusenberg's, Packards and Cadillacs were of the pre-war era.

Every decade seems to produce a "gem" of an automobile, revered and beloved by those who experienced them first hand. Some decades like the thirties and the sixties produced more than their share of "collectible" automobiles .... even the mediocre eighties brought us the Buick GNX!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,096 Posts
The only plausible reason for fooling around with a middle to late fifties Ford is that you couldn't find a late middle to late fifties Chevy to work on.

·
Registered
1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance, 2020 Santa Fe, 2003 Honda Reflex scooter
7,966 Posts
The only plausible reason for fooling around with a middle to late fifties Ford is that you couldn't find a late middle to late fifties Chevy to work on.
...or if you didn't want to be one of thirty others at every cruise night. Personally when I go to car meets I walk right past the fifties Chevys and 60's muscle cars. I see more of them now than I did in the 60's! Any car that you can virtually build from scratch out of a parts book is obviously a model that is over represented in my opinion.

That is sort of why I like the Cadillacs so much. If you see one restored well and looking sharp you know the owner had to hunt, and work and be creative to get it to that state. Unlike the guy with the 57 Chevy, you can't just sit at the computer with a credit card and buy his car new again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts