Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I knew when I bought the car it had rear wheel drive and wouldn't handle as well as my last STS on slippery pavement. But my God, this car is a nightmare on snow or ice!

It's front heavy, and I've already been forced twice to get a shovel out and chop ice and snow from behind me just to get out of a parking spot. I'm old enough to have driven in the late 60's, and I believe this is the worst car I have ever driven on slippery pavement! I honestly feel it's a safety issue.

I have also experienced a problem with the windshield washer fluid freezing up in anything under 20 degrees. If I come to a stop, it will work again, but if I'm on the highway at 70 MPH, nothing. I guess I can pull over every couple of miles if I need to. Right!

All in all, I am becoming more and more disenchanted every day. I think this will be my last one.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
I too remember the old rear wheel drive days. I really miss my old front wheel drive Seville when the weather is bad. I think it's a combination of the Michelins and horsepower. I can't wait till I wear them out so I can get something with a little more grip. As far as the HP, I find if you baby the pedal it's a little better.

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
aaaah one thing you should be aware of

What tires do you have?... If it's the original tires then that's why... Michellin Pilot MXM4 is Horrible on wet or snow.. I just checked a review on it... it is even not suitable for snow

Find new tires that are good for kinda situation, install them, wait few days until thye become familiar with the street (lol.. friends), then you will notice the difference

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
You need tires for the job or you could trade that thing in and get AWD. Also, they say that the CTS is a better sled than the STS. Although I'm sure with proper tires you will find that the problem goes away. It is often true that some of the best handling cars on dry are the worst on wet or snow. Look at all the Saabs, BMW's and Benz's that have winter and summer rubber. You can fix your issues by getting a better all weather tire as your factory rubber is set to provide better handling in summer than winter.

Mark

·
Registered
Previous STS' 1995/97/99/01/03
1,194 Posts
commander112 said:
You need tires for the job or you could trade that thing in and get AWD. Also, they say that the CTS is a better sled than the STS. Although I'm sure with proper tires you will find that the problem goes away. It is often true that some of the best handling cars on dry are the worst on wet or snow. Look at all the Saabs, BMW's and Benz's that have winter and summer rubber. You can fix your issues by getting a better all weather tire as your factory rubber is set to provide better handling in summer than winter.

Mark
I agree with you that correct tires are the cure for poor winter performance.
I've owned 3 fwd STS's, all of them with all season rubber. On my current ride, I have 4 high speed, directional Goodyear Eagle snows mounted to my old rims.
The electronic systems used to kick in when the snow was on the ground. Now, I rarely hear the abs, traction, or stability control, because the car simply doesn't loose adhesion to the surface.
I've owned rwd cars with 4 snows, and the difference in control is amazing compared to all season rubber.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
6 to 8 inches in NJ this morning. The commute sucked, worst car I ever had for snow driving. I know it's mostly the tires but I am ready to call my salesman and make a deal on a DTS if for only the front wheel drive. Traction control is useless. On a funny note, I left my drivers window open about an inch last night. You would be surprised how much snow can fit through an inch. I had to shovel my seat. All in all a pretty crappy morning. See you on the DTS forum.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get on tire rack and pick up 4 snows with rims. I put some cheap Firstone Winterforce tires all the way around my Eldorado and it feels like a different car. Granted, the car is front wheel drive. Yesterday I drove up a steep unplowed hill and had no problem. I will even go as far as saying that the footing is better than my friends Jeep with all seasons.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I bit the bullet and bought 4 snows. Yes, it seems better, but I'm not too happy. Not really thrilled with the concept of spending 50k on a car, and having to spend another several hundres dollars so I can drive it year round, in the same town I bought it in.

I told my dealer, who otherwise has been very good to me, that he should do himself a favor and tell his customers BEFORE they buy the car what they will need. I would have bought it anyway - but I don't like expensive surprises, and neither do most others!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with you. I have been in contact with Cadillac for over a year regarding the snow and ice issue. Snow tires have helped some, but not enough for me to feel safe while driving in Michigan winters.

As winter blew into town a couple of weeks ago, my rear window fell in and while it was at the dealer the car was hit and now the frame is bent.

:thepan: Here's to Cadillac.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just put 'winter' tires at all 4 corners on my 05 STS. It makes all the difference in the world. Much improved traction and cornering. Still wouldn't want to do anything stupid, but the handling is vastly improved over the crappy Michelins that come from the factory in a MN winter. At least in the northern states Cadillac or the dealers should offer a winter traction package to those of us drivers that can't be snow birds yet.

·
Registered
2006 STS V6
230 Posts
180 to the left and 3x360 to the right. Took a turn a little fast off the tollway and would up doing doughnuts in the middle of the road finally killing the engine:bonkers: . What sucks is that the pavement was only SLIGHTLY wet. To top it off I live in chicago! I miss my front wheel SLS.

Just to compare, how are the all wheel STS's doing in the bad weather?

·
Registered
sts4/07 escalade
72 Posts
I have the awd sts. Live in Ohio--have had only some snow, slush and ice so far this year, but the awd has been great. No slip sliding or out of control situations at all--for where I live well worth the extra 1900 plus gas guzzler tax!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also bought the AWD. I live in Bend, OR and we have already had over two feet of snow. The AWD handles great in the snow. I get dirty looks from the truck and SUV owners stuck on hills as I pass them by without slipping or sliding. If you live in the snow, you should have spent the extra money for AWD. Instead you get to spend the extra money on tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This may anger many of you, but I think some of you guys need to learn to drive. I live in NE Ohio and have been pounded with snow this year. I have no problem at all driving in the snow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All wheel drive has been great off the line. I have gunned it in the snow in a turn, and it starts to slip before the computer kicks in. That is expected. Great handling in wet and dry. Best car ever.

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
Jyoder240 said:
This may anger many of you, but I think some of you guys need to learn to drive. I live in NE Ohio and have been pounded with snow this year. I have no problem at all driving in the snow.
What's the terrain like out there? I'm good as long as I am on level ground. The slightest incline and I am doomed her in Northern NJ.

·
Registered
12 Posts
um, okay, I'm from California so I guess I probably don't know jack about 'real' ice and snow but ... went to Lake Tahoe over the weekend and it snowed and the hiway dept told me to use these things called 'chains' ... no problem driving in the snow as soon as I did what they said. go figure

·
Banned
2008 CTS
1,192 Posts
GrannysRedSTS said:
um, okay, I'm from California so I guess I probably don't know jack about 'real' ice and snow but ... went to Lake Tahoe over the weekend and it snowed and the hiway dept told me to use these things called 'chains' ... no problem driving in the snow as soon as I did what they said. go figure
You put chains on your STS? Tell us more. I was actually thinking about that but I haven't seen chains here in NJ for many years. I know trucks still use them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
well, no I didn't - I paid the chain monkey 20 bucks. wouldn't want to get wet and cold. of course they're more like cables, but what do I know? I only have to deal with snow 3 or 4 times a year anyway and I can usually just stay in the house until the next day when it will be gone. I only had to do it this time 'cause I went to Tahoe. what do they do in NJ instead if you don't do chains? special tires or traction or what? educate me please, i'm curious.

·
Registered
'08 STS-V Sedan Black Formerly three CTS-V's, XLR and STS4N*
868 Posts
Chains and studded tires are not legal in most states as they damage the roads. Once again, SNOW TIRES ARE THE ANSWER for those of you that drive two wheel drive STS's or if you drive a Benz, BMW, Lexus, or any other rear wheel drive car on snow and ice. I really do not see what the big deal is. If you wanted better performance in snow without the use of snow tires you needed to buy AWD or FWD. This not not new news people. When I was a kid every car we owned had a set of snow tires that were put on in winter and removed in summer. Please stop bitching about things YOU should have known up front. I bet the owners at the BMW forum are not bitching about this subject right now. They bought a set of steel wheels with snow tires or AWD.
I live in Michigan, it snows here, I did not want to change out tires, I bought AWD. They don't make AWD just for the fun of making it. It has a negative effect on handling and reduces fuel economy. The reason it is offered is for better traction in winter! Now deal with it people.
If you still want a front wheel drive car that understeers in turns and has torque steer problems you have clearly bought the wrong car. Your STS was built to be a drivers car and the tradeoff is poor winter performance (as with any rear wheel drive performance car). End of rant!

Mark

1 - 20 of 40 Posts