Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQpun_wTyu4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tQpun_wTyu4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Sorry to brake the news to the Mercedes-philes this add is quite misleading talking about performance. The '59 300D sedan shown was a slug with a little 3 litre engine trying to move 5000 lb. car, sames was true of the '56 300S Cabriolet featured "pigsville" as far as performance goes, yes the 300 SL gullwing was fast for 1955 especially if you had a factory mechanic riding with you to keep the fuel injection in tune, the '55 180 Ponton was a real goer too occasionally beating camels to the Cairo airport! Then their was the 180 SL, oh that's right it was so slow it didn't amke to the tape shoot. I think the ad agency did a great job, the public's ignorance of the truth will allow Mercedes' mendacity. The ad should have said "great cars but slow as molasses ...... but our new cars go faster, especially if you're prepared to spend over $100,000!"

Back when these cars were new I knew them quite well; my family had a 300D sedan which I drove for a year in high school. A classmate's Dad had a 300S (beautiful car, but slow), several friends have had 300 SL's over the years (there was a time when nicwe one's could actually be driven on the street), as for the 180's fathers gave them to their daughters so they wouldn't drive too fast!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was really only referring to the new E Coupe...

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Well, I was really only referring to the new E Coupe...
Yeah, I was only teasing! The new E coupe looks great and if it really performs I think I'll try to talk my son into getting one if he makes partner in the next year or so. I am not proud I'll drive one of his cars ...... he sure enough drove enough of mine!

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^^ Well that kind of goes w/o saying, re: W124...at least it looks better than the CTS coupe...it looks WAY better than any CLK, you have to admit...

The coupe hierarchy:
W126
W140
W124

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
It looks fat and bulbous. Its like they took a Lexus GS and added some awkward angles.

W124 > This crap.
I'll wait to see it in person before I make up my mind. I've always had a weakness for Mercedes coupes and cabriolets, but always been let down by how they drove. Not to mention the rediculous premium price Mercedes tacks on to them.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
I'm glad they made it the E Class coupe again and got rid of the CLK moniker.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
It looks fat and bulbous. Its like they took a Lexus GS and added some awkward angles.
What German car nowadays doesn't have some awkward angles? The days of design simplicity among the German manufacturers are long gone.

Whatever happened to Bauhaus?

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sure it will drum up interest for you if they throw in a free copy of Maxim w/a test drive.

Fool.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
What German car nowadays doesn't have some awkward angles? The days of design simplicity among the German manufacturers are long gone.

Whatever happened to Bauhaus?
Audi seems to have stayed true to the "less is more" school of design, except of course for their incongruous front end design. I actually think the designers at Audi consistantly produce the best deigns for their various models ..... but inspite of that thought I will never own another Audi; i.e. one was enough!

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham, 1988 Fleetwood Brougham
330 Posts
all the old ones they show look much better than the new jelly bean they are pushing

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
It looks like a bigger C-Class. Not Impressed.

I'd much rather have an Audi S5. (or RS5 when it comes out)

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
Mercedes and performance in the same sentence. That's good for a laugh! I was looking for a 300D a few years ago and took a test drive in a pristine 1978 240D with a manual transmission. That car was scary slow.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
If you want scary slow, drive an old VW bus :)
During the mid-70s, I worked for a water quality research lab and we had a couple VW buses for sample collection. The 76 bus had fuel injection and did OK. The 69 had a carb and maybe 70 HP. Both had manual transmissions, thankfully. But, calling the 69's gearbox loose would be generous.

·
Registered
None, Now an AUDI A4
555 Posts
During the mid-70s, I worked for a water quality research lab and we had a couple VW buses for sample collection. The 76 bus had fuel injection and did OK. The 69 had a carb and maybe 70 HP. Both had manual transmissions, thankfully.But, calling the 69's gearbox loose would be generous.

yet ANOTHER reference to my ex! wow 2 in one day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts