Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have stop crying, I need help. We had a freak hail storm come through Toronto yesterday and I stopped counting the dents and dings on my hood, roof and trunk at 87. The damage is unbeleivable. Golf Ball sized hail starting coming down for less than five minutes but the damage to cars is unbeleivable

Can these actualy be popped out? Does/should the car be painted. THankfully I confirmed I am covered for this damage on my insurance companies hotline yesterday

I tried taking pictures but you cant really see the damage. My car looks like someone took a machine gun to the top of it

Any help, insight, recomendations would be greatly appreciated

Back to crying now

Thank you in advacne

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,520 Posts
There are people who specialize in "paintless dent repair" and some are real magicians at the technique. Search your "yellow pages" for body shops.....it ain't cheap.

I had 2 pretty good door dings removed from my red Seville driver's door a couple of years ago and you absolutely cannot find any evidence of repair, and that took 15 minutes.

Bummer about the thunderstorm......

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have used those types of services before, my detail shop actually has a guy on staff who fixes door dings. I cant emphasize enough, my car looks like a strainer riddles with bullet hole. THere are over a hundred dents all over my car. It is not a pretty sight. I fear I need major work to fix them all

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
Dentless repair rarely is available for hoods, roof and decklid, because most are double panels and access is limited at best. Depending how deep the dents are, park the car in the hot sun and most will pop themselves as long as the dents are not creased ( The dent itself results from the stretching of the metal as a result of the impact.) The steel used in manufacturing is made up of draw quality metal which allows it to be stretched into the desired shape. The hail actually performed the same operation except in an undesirable fashion. After 35 years as an insurance adjuster, we found this method the most efficient and is recommended by the official auto damage organization IICAR which is made up of insurance companies, auto makers and body shop personel. If any dents remain after several days a shop can use heat and cold to shrink the metal back to it's original shape. The use of a heat gun followed by the application of a wet rag causes the metal to shrink and he dent comes out. However, do not try this yourself, if not used properly a heat gun can and will burn the paint.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is good to hear, I think and thank you for your expertise. My concern is the shear amount of them and howsome are creased and close together in clumps. Like I stated earlier there is over a hundred of them at least

·
Registered
'08 CTS Black Raven/Ebony 3.6DI FE2 6-speed manual
149 Posts
Topview,

the important part here is that insurance is covering it - a similar thing happened last year to a buddy's DTS - with the right shop, you can't tell the difference after its done...

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
999 Posts
I had a similar problem with my black '93 M5, when a similar storm hit Atlanta in the late '90s. I had severe hail damage on all but the right side of the car, because the hail went sideways with the wind. The dents were too numerous to count, as with yours. My insurance company authorized a new hood and trunk lid, with full repairs and a full respray. None of the local shops would consider the paintless repair method. A traveling company that follows such storms came to town. They specialize in these kinds of repairs. It took 2 full days and just over $3000 US ten years ago, but all but two of the dents were totally gone, and the other two were only visible upon close inspection. I was totally satisfied. The car kept it's factory paint, and there was no loss in value ( with only 225 M5s in '93, the resale on that car was quite extraordinary).

Hopefully, a similar service is available in Toronto, or may come to town. I'm sure there are many other similarly damaged cars. Good luck!

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
Bad news - we escaped the hail up here in the Ottawa area but heard reports of pea and coin-sized hail in Toronto and golf ball-sized projectiles closer to Stratford.

What part of T.O. was this?

I had hail hit a dark grey Mazda ~20+ years ago. I was advised (as a previous poster mentioned) to park it in the sun for a few days - it worked on all but a few
of the marks and a hair dryer took out most of those. A hair dryer is safer on the paint than a heat gun - although not as effective. Years later, I heard a colleague explain how he repaired his car with a head gun, a few wet cloths and a bucket of ice cubes.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
My concern is the shear amount of them and howsome are creased and close together in clumps. Like I stated earlier there is over a hundred of them at least
Topview,
The PDR system does work, however with the degree of damage you have many shops will not guarantee the results. They are just simply not able to restore the body to orginal looking condition. Fill in, and repaint is sometimes necessary. In some severe case's panel replacement may be the best solution.

One other thing to consider is that, in some cases, the dent repair (PDR) will cause the paint, where the dent was, to later show fine spider cracks and/or bubble.

You need to make sure you get with your insurance provider and tell them about your concerns. Don't settle for second best. You are insured and they should make sure the car is repaired to original condition.

Check around. Ask several of the local dealership's body shop managers. So many dealer's have experienced hail damage to their inventoried vehicles. Some will have them repaired, other will hold a hail damage sale, usually depends upon how many vehicles were damaged and the severity of the damage.

Really sorry to hear about the damage to your car. It make's me sick just reading about it. I hope everything works out well. Good Luck

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I don't know what your insurance deductible is for comprehensive coverage, but the sun is worth a try; it's free. The heat shrink method may also be cheaper than your deductible. Remember Mother Nature caused the damage, let her fix it.
I see several posters reporting their experiences, but some are several years ago. The body business changes as often as new materials and repair methods are introduced. Repairing a car today is very different then when I started out, just like working on anything on the car. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Too my fellow Canadian in Ottawa I live pretty well in the center of the city in the Yorkdale Shopping Centre area. I was just LMAO in my backyard, never thought to check my Home Depot plastic shed, 17 holes the size of golf balls in the roof of that as well

I just actually had washed my car and to be honest, it is much worse than I thought. I am thinking new hood, roof panel, trunk and both rear quarter panels have dents. On the passenger sides alot of noticeable fine scratches as well as around the window mouldings. At least my E&S Chrome Grill did not take any direct hits

this is realy ugly, my car is 6 months old and black so everything is visisble. Going to have to do some research on this, but to be honest, nothing short of the car being totally repainted will make me happy, there are too many dents

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I don't blame you for wanting this repaired the way you want. The hood and decklid should be no problem , but the roof and both quarter panels may represent a challenge. The are structural components and are used to form the uniboday structure ( no full frame) To remove the roof and two quarters would result in the structures compromise.It could even cause the whole thing to collapse. Think of it, with no rear structure, what holds the rest of the car together. The unibody is built on a jig at the factory that holds all of the parts to precise dimensions. While body shops have frame jigs and post machines to line the under portion of the car back to factory specs, I know of no machine for the upper structure. It might require removing and replacing one quarter at a time and then the roof. By that time you should be about ready to pay the last payment or two.
Body repair using fillers is perfectly good for vertical surfaces but absolutely a horror for horizontal surfaces. I haven't seen a repair yet to a horizontal surface (hood, decklid or roof) that doesn't eventually show it's ugly head. It's just easier to see the imperfections.
Now everyone will scream and tell you to force the insurance company to give you a new car. Good luck, almost certainly not going to happen. If general accepted repair procedures can be completed for less than 75% of replacement cost.Check the newspaper to see what a similar car with similar equipment and mileage would go for and ten subtract about ten percent to give you an idea of what their cost would be x 75%= the amount they will put into the car before they total it. Then subtract your deductible. Also, think twice about a total repaint, especially on a black car.
I'm sure you will get a lot more advice from people smarter than me; I only offer my two cents based on my experience.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spoke to an authorized insurance body shop this morning and will go be going by later this afternoon. Over the phone, hood and truck, automatic replacement if they are "alot" of dents. Roof he needs to see to make a proper determination. Quarter panels he is sure can be popped back.

My only question is, why would I not want to repaint the whole car? My concern would be a "two tone" car. Keep in mind GM paint is garbage at best and I was just venting last week on this board about all the swirls in my paint. If they are going to paint the top half of my car, why not insist on all of it?

·
Registered
Cadillac 2009 CTS cherry bomb
59 Posts
:hide:I was parked in the Royal York Road/Bloor St. neighborhood scoffing down some Greek cuisine during that storm!

I know this isn't going to make you feel any better, but nary a hailstone was seen in the Kingsway. That's hail for you. The best of luck during your trials.

By the way TOPVIEW, do you find the ontario-cts-club forum as inactive and nonresponsive (read useless) as I do?

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for letting me know, I feel worse now. LOL I actually live in the Dufferin and Glencarin area south of Lawrence, that's what maybe 10km from where you were and my car was pelted.

I am actually going to Forest Hill Autobody shortly, they have a great state of the art shop, two minutes from home and approved by my insurance company

As far as the Ontario Board, I get more support talking to myself! Too bad, I previously had a Maxima and the Toronto Maxima Board was a great site, full of great members and information

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Spoke to an authorized insurance body shop this morning and will go be going by later this afternoon. Over the phone, hood and truck, automatic replacement if they are "alot" of dents. Roof he needs to see to make a proper determination. Quarter panels he is sure can be popped back.

My only question is, why would I not want to repaint the whole car? My concern would be a "two tone" car. Keep in mind GM paint is garbage at best and I was just venting last week on this board about all the swirls in my paint. If they are going to paint the top half of my car, why not insist on all of it?
Like I mentioned earlier, fill-in, repaint and/or panel replacement may be necessary, and based on your description of the damage to your car I believe any one of these, or combination of all, are the only solutions that will have good results. With hail damage that severe, it's impossible to remove dents or restore the body to orginal condition with any other type of repair method.

As long as your insurance will cover it, personally, I would insist on a complete paint. JMO. Good Luck

p.s. It would be nice if you would post some before and after pic's.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well, made it by the body shop, and here is the diagnosis

-New hood
-New Truck
-New Chrome window trim all around
-Passenger Side Rear Quarter Panel can be PDR
-Roof is an issue, they are going to remove the head liner and see if they can be popped (heat and cold, apparently they have an old time metal craftsmand who can do this properly, it is an art) They cannot or should not be popped out or it will leave creases. He does not recomend changing the roof skin becasue of the cutting and welding involved and the integrity of the car and will do all he can to save it

Then they are going to water sand my entire car to and hit it with two coats of clear coat. They assure me that because of how flat the 08 Black on the CTS is once it is painted and all clear coated properly the color will blend perfectly. THe shop claims that GM Clearcoat is terrible to start with but they will use a "higher end" clearcoat to give me proper depth.

I am paying a bit extra out of pocket to ensure it is done right and this way they may take extra care since it is not a total insurance job. Once they actually start working on it, painting the whole car might be an option as well

Not sure of the costs involved by he did estimate around 7k as an approximate start

Unbeleivable how many cars they had in the shop waiting for quotes. This is a shop that has been around for over 50 years, family owned and highly reviewed in local circles.

It will take about 3 weeks, so while I am on our 10th wedding anniversary 10 day Meditarian Cruise and 11 land tour of Italy, in early July, I will drop it off becasue the thought of driving some little rental for 3 weeks does not appeal to me

I will update in mid July once the car is done

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and input

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
Wow! You definitely weren't kidding about the size of the hail! Doesn't sound like a job that a few days in the sun would cure...

I'll bet you end up with a better looking car, from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS4 2008
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know, the clear coat on my car has a ton of swirls all over it and really I am actually looking forward to not seeing them anymore

This is a pain in the ars, and I hope you are right, I think I will have a better looking car when this all said and done

1 - 20 of 21 Posts