Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last Oldsmobile I owned was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme.. Even after that, during the 90's, I was in other Oldsmobiles and they didn't impress me.. I've only just recently begun looking into the mid to late 90's models and I see they were actually very impressive. The interiors were comfortable-looking - and of fairly high quality...

What happened? Too little, too late? I hope Buick can fill the shoes that Oldsmobile was wearing until recently... So far, I don't think they are...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a 1983 cutlass supreme brogham. It was a nice car. The olds division did not have the right advertising campains going and did not really have a target market for the line in it's late years. It is the only division im GM that couldnt really handle the loss of the rear wheel drive car platform.

·
Watching the Watchers
5,959 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
The last Oldsmobile I owned was a 1980 Cutlass Supreme.. Even after that, during the 90's, I was in other Oldsmobiles and they didn't impress me.. I've only just recently begun looking into the mid to late 90's models and I see they were actually very impressive. The interiors were comfortable-looking - and of fairly high quality...

What happened? Too little, too late? I hope Buick can fill the shoes that Oldsmobile was wearing until recently... So far, I don't think they are...
My wifes Alero GLS is fully loaded, chrome wheels, sunroof, traction control etc. Has a pretty sporty V6, its faster than my SLS. And Final price was 18500, all that AND a factory bumper to bumper 5yr/60k warranty, which is the best in GM. we've had it in for 1 warranty repair in 2.5 years, which was a rear door latch that stuck. Probably the best value I ever got in a car.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
Yeah, I too like Oldsmobile...... my experience with them has been the Olds 307, which while nowhere near a performance engine, is very reliable and would just never die. The Quad4, which is one of the very few 4bangers I would ever consider owning (which is also the predisesor to the Auroa and N*) They made some nice cars etc...

.....I persoanlly don't like the Alero...looks are too plain, BUT I do like the Grand Am GT, same car, just looks differnt (GT is actually 5more hp and 5 ft. lbs. due to the ram-air)

GM is doing weird stuff, killing Oldsmobile, droping the Grand Am for the G6 concept (atleast keep the Grand Am name) bringing out things, trying new styles etc....

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Aurora is the one that really catches my eye. I've sat in an Alera and they're nice too. I trierd to convince my girlfriend to get one of those but it didn't work.. She wasn't too happy with the test-drive. Unfortunately, I think the car she drove needed a tune-up...

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
The Alero/Grand Am uses the 3400 SFI V6, 170hp and 200ft lbs. of tourqe, add 5 to each of those figures for the GT version of the GA

AFAIK the Alero only comes with the 3400, the base engine on the GA SE is now the 2.2L Ecotec.... something like 150hp with 140ft . lbs. of tourqe, but there are, and soon to be many companys making crazy mods on the Ecotech, it is a strong engine, and should be able to get around 250-300hp with bolt-ons

I'd still take a Quad4 HO w/ 5spd in a '90-'91 Grand Am SE (my '91 was a LE, Quad4 LO with auto) Or the 2.4 TwinCam (newer gen of the Quad4, 10hp less, more quite and has a harmonic balencer so it runs more smooth etc...) they were used in the '96-'98 GAGT w/ 5speed and the '99 GA (new body style) had the 2.4 TwinCam w/ 5spd on the SE, the Ecotech later replaced the TwinCam.

I would like to, in the future, get a '96-'98 GAGT which has the 2.4 TwinCam w/ 5spd just for the hell of it, maybe use it in the winter so I wouldn't have to use the Caddy or soemthing.

Sorry for all the talk on the GA..... kinda get carried away as I go to a Grand Am forum :D

·
Banned
701 Posts
I've always been a Olds fan and even owned a 1969 442 in my youth. What I would give to have it back, but they sell for some big bucks now. My cousins wife has an Aurora, and thats a sweet ride. Shame on GM for killing off the Olds, and they keep the Buick. Buick is an Indian word that translates to "Blue Hair" for all the old ladies that drive them.

Long Live Cadillac

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
mmmmmm '69 442

that and a '69 Camero SS, '66 GTO and '70 Chevell SS are among my favorites of the classics

Then for normal crusing, and my all time favorite car, a '59 Eldorado rag top :cool:

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
This is what I have been wanting to do....

in some years from now, I want to find a late 70's DeVIlle with the 500, I would build it up like crazy, but keep it lloking stock (new, up to date paint job though), it is RWD and body-on-frame, plus it's a huge boat, and people would think it's slow. pull off all the smog crap etc... and just go crazy with it, it would only be a car to race with and not really a daily driver, but that would just be real cool.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
mmm, fins!

Olds were great cars...... We owned a bravada (like 93) for 5 years and like 30k miles, didnt have a problem with it, except a bad battery, and that was a common problem for them...

I have like the auroras also......

My grandparents had an alero, and it was a solid car..... I thought it felt really sporty.......

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I never said it WAS sporty, just the way the steering felt and the way you sat in the car! Basically, I wasnt referring to anything related to the powertrain!

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
the Alero weighs 3200lbs....atleast that's how much a GAGT weighs and they are the same car.

Isn't the Bravada a Blazer?

'59 mint Eldorado= my all time dream car. (well, without going crazy)

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
23 Participants
inmycadillac