Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/29/reports-of-aggressively-rusting-toyota-pickup-frames-mounting/

Reports of aggressively rusting Toyota pickup frames piling up

by Chris Shunk on Apr 29th 2009 at 11:29AM

Some Toyota Tundra owners are reportedly experiencing inordinately heavy amounts of premature rust, and they want the Japanese automaker to take action to address the problem. WCVB TV in Boston has been investigating the Toyota rust situation for about a year, and they're reporting that at least two dozen 2000-2001 Tundra owners have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Owners of 1995-2001 Toyota pickups say their vehicles had inadequate corrosion protection, and many feel that the automaker should recall the vehicles.

When we mention excessive rust, we're not talking about some corroded quarter panels or a little dusting around the wheel wells. Drivers have complained of trucks so rusty that the frames are cracking, panels are falling off, and, in some cases, the trucks are too unsafe to drive. One owner is reportedly dealing with a power steering rack in need of repair, but the rust is so bad a new rack can't be bolted to the frame. The Boston TV station also investigated the smaller Tacoma for rust issues last year and found several frames that were disintegrating due to excessive corrosion.

For Toyota's part, the station reports that the automaker is buying back select models at 1.5 times their Blue Book value, but there are other truck owners who are still clamoring for resolution. The Japanese automaker says it is investing every case individually and that it's using lessons learned from the Tacoma incident to proactively investigate vehicles made with similar production techniques. Toyota won't comment on how many rust problem complaints it has received. Hat tip to Chris!

[Source: The Boston Channel]

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Wow, my old 1995 Taurus SHO didn't look that bad and it sat outside in New York winters for 12 years before the owners brought it to FL!

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
My folks have a 25 year old Jeep Wrangler that's been mildly off roaded over the years, and doesn't look anything like that. That's absolute frame rot. If I owned an older Tundra I would be investing in one of those electrostatic frame corrosion preventers.

When you can't bolt parts to a frame anymore it's time to become a parts vehicle for the salvage yard. Game over. Toyota gives new life to the saying, "I'm going to drive it until it falls apart." :)

:wow:

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,986 Posts
Years ago, people in interior Alaska decided that salt and rust were harder on your car than fender benders so they don't put salt on the roads no matter how much it snows. Around Anchorage they put salt on the roads by the ton and the cars are rust buckets like those in the midwest plus the idiots still run into each other.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
Not exactly "Built Ford Tough" is it?

You want a boring but reliable family saloon you buy a Toyota.

You want a dependable work truck you buy Detroit.

Heck they don't even sell them over here and even I know that...

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
My Deville was a DD for years, driving on salt encrusted Chicago roads, and then it sat exposed to the elements for like 2 years.

You don't want to see my undercarriage LOL :hide:

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
You'd think Toyota would've learned its lessons from their 80's pickups. Those things had the same rust problems, especially the beds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts