Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older set of Cadillac hubcaps for my winter wheels, and the fingers that retain the cap to the wheel grip onto the outside edge of the wheel there the wheel weights go. How can you put them on with wheel weights in the way without smashing them and destroying the fingers?

Were wheel weights different back then? They would need to NOT be clipped on the outer part of the rim for these to work.

I honestly have no idea what year they are, I can take a picture of them. Everyone says they like them on my Cadillac better than the factory 94 Wheels.

I am guessing they are 60's or 70's. They guy I got the car from picked them up from a junkyard and has no idea what they came from.

I am just nervous of using them and losing one, as I have never seen one like it and fear I can't get a replacement. So my Cad rides on blackwalls w/o caps right now! Boring. But then again, with my antennas for radio, people think I am a cop than ever! Last I checked not too many cops drove LT1 powered Fleetwoods!

·
Registered
1976 FLEETWOOD brougham
355 Posts
N0DIH said:
Were wheel weights different back then? They would need to NOT be clipped on the outer part of the rim for these to work.
Hello.

there were differents weights back then, i don't know if boths models was aviable at the same time but i think they were.
The thing that differ the "old" type of weights from the "New" type, is that the metalclips were longer so the lead part were placed further in in the rim, not much but enought so the hubcaps fingers don't be disturbed, but the weights was clipped on the outer part of the rims.
I dont know in USA but here in sweden is it difficult to came over the old style of weights, the tire shops that understands the problem make sure they don't throw the weights away, but most tire shops here has no clue that this problem exitst.
I personally try to look trought tire shops used weights stack, and if i find the right type of weight, i inform them of it's special use and then i ask if i can have it.
In the USA, i would be surpriced if it is not possible to get hold of used weights, or new weights that is made in the shape of the the old ones.
You probably need to find the right tire shop thou.

Jolle

·
Registered
1970 Sedan deVille hardtop
595 Posts
fleetwood's got it right. You've gotta find a tire shop that carries, or is willing to order, the right weights. I know they are available, because I bought a set of tires off a '72 that had this style of weights recently put on. I also have spoken to another tire shop who said they no longer stock them, but it seemed they can get them in.

As for the hubcaps holding on, take a careful look at the 'fingers' on the hubcaps. Ods are that more than a few are a bit mangled. I used a pair of needle-nose pliers to help out my set of hubcaps. It takes some force to put them on, but they are solid! Also, wash the rim before putting them on. Any grease or mud on there will make them more likely to come off. I think true Cadillac rims have a bit longer lip at the edge of the rim to help hold the hubcaps on as well.

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
There used to be special wheel weights for Cadillac. AFIK that ended after 1976 when Cadillac hubcaps started using the same rim area to hang on to as everyone else. These days, any tire shop worth 2 cents could make use of stick-on type weights for mag wheels.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, great advice. Thanks!

These seem to grab at the edge, which I don't feel are the safest place to hang on to. If there was more lip, it would be ok. Yup, I spend a half hour bending and tweaking to get them all back, many were mangled. The previous owner or shop just made them fit.

I guess I need to scour boneyards for old rims. Yards here that keep old stuff are getting rare. I have one nearby, I will talk to him, he has piles of rims. Even mag wheels, but he just scraps them, no time to deal with selling them. If I had the time I would work out a business deal on me selling them.

I was thinking of having them rebalanced with the weights on the inside only, like alum rims are supposed to be so they don't get damaged. So many idiot shops just clamp the weights on the shiny side and screw up the protective coatings and ruin the wheels. Idiots. Then they think you are strange for wanting it done right!

I think I have a vauge idea what the weigts look like, the clip on the rim but are set way back into the rim.

Do the mag wheel stick on weights stay on well enough when stuck to steelies? I guess I can note what weights are where and have extra....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts