Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Am I the only one that get's tired of hearing people saying Cadillac is for old people? I am 32 and my family members called me an old man when I bought a very nice pearl red 96 Cadillac Deville 3 years ago. But with out fail any time we went out of town on the highway, everybody demanded to ride in the caddy! LOL!! What was even more funny is the fact that they all had newer foreign cars but they prefered the comfortable ride of the cadillac. I believe Cadillac is seen as an old person brand because most young people can't afford brand new Cadillac's, while senior citizens usually can.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
My '88 is the definition of an old man car.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Yours is not nearly as much of an old man car as mine. The '88 just screams 75 year old man behind the wheel.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
With age generally comes wisdom, like knowing a damn fine car when you see one. So, to those who say it's an old person's car, I have a well-chosen British aphorism: Bugger off!

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
Mine is constantly referred to as a "grandma car"; mainly because little old ladies are the only ones around here that drive the damn things. The stigma of owning a Deville would be worse than my Seville, but I'd rather drive a Cadillac than anything else on the road.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I have the 93 Sixty Special old man's car. AND the daily driver old man's car. my 2003 Lincoln Town Car. They are all just jealous that they don't have the money to afford to buy, run & keep an old man's car. Lose no sleep.
Tell 'em what I say, "BACK IN YOUR TOYOPET, NOW!

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
I think jealousy is a very big factor in the stigma around Cadillacs. Just today I had polished up my dad's wheels because we were going to a party, and at the gas station a girl in a crappy '90s Saturn pulls up to the pump, looks at the wheels and this disgusted look comes over her face.

I couldn't help but smile. :D Cadillacs and other luxury cars are vulgar to some people, because these are cars that no working man could afford to buy new, and the mere presence of these cars is enough to remind people of that fact.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 (Venus) 1964 Impala (Betty) 1991 Miata (Dolly)
14,333 Posts
I don't think I've ever had anybody call either of my Cadillacs old man or grandma cars. But I've gotten plenty of compliments.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It seems like with Cadillac you either love it or hate it, there is no in between. For some reason I have heard more comments about Cadillac being an old person car from baby boomers than from young people. Maybe a lot of them do not like Cadillac, because it is what their parents drove as a status symbol when they were growing up.

It is the boomer generation that really started the mass movement toward Mercedes, BMW, Lexus as the premier luxury brands in america back in the 80's and 90's, especially Lexus in the early 90's.

This is not true for ALL people from that generation but it is something I have noticed. I have an aunt that is from that generation, she is in her early 60's and she wanted to buy a new Lexus. She had not even considered looking at a Cadillac. I convinced her to test drive the DTS and she was hooked, she didn't even want to go to the Lexus dealer after that. Prior to that she said she hated Cadillac's growing up and would never buy one, but she never gave a reason. She changed her mind that day.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
If a person likes a full sized car, with a plush ride, "finished" interior that is pure elegance, V-8 Power and exclusive options, in a large car, there are only 2 domestic choices.

I started with Imperials. Freaking fabulous cars. I took out both Caddy & Lincoln owners and they were speechless when they saw what my Imperials had, that their cars did not! I had a 1968, 1972, 1976 and 1982.
Then, with the demise of the Imp, I hopped over to Cadillac with a 1988.
Now with a 1993 Sixty Special that has become a "show car" and a "Special Event" car and my daily driver is a 2003 Lincoln Town Car Limited Edition.

The only Foreignors I like are the Audi S8, the Maserati Quatroptorte and the Jaguar XF and XK Convertable.
SOooooo, I've been driving Old Mens's Cars since I was 22 years old.
I guess, now at age 62 - I should buy a 'Vette :cookoo:

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I get that with the Fleetwood & Marauder, despite having visible 'hot-rod' modifications.

The only Foreignors I like are the Audi S8, the Maserati Quatroptorte and the Jaguar XF and XK Convertable.
Sandy, my Father just bought my Mother a new XKR Convertible (Azure Blue). :thumbsup: It is an AWESOME car.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
My cars haven't been referred to old people's cars since I graduated high school.

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS
54 Posts
Okay here's my $.02

I agree that it's more older people who call them "old people cars" or "grandpa cars." Young people love my car I get compliments all the time. A friend of mine who is about 40 kept calling it a "hooptie" (even though he has never even SEEN the car :rolleyes: ) and says it's a grandpa car. I told him it's an STS not a deville and he was like "yeah my grandpa had a late nineties STS that's exactly what I mean!" I can't even begin to understand that. The STS looks like a pretty cool sports car to me. The devilles look a little old-fashioned, and the 80's caddy's I agree look old-fashioned but I still like them. But Jesus, an STS?!

I think it's a lot of jealousy and also not knowing jack about cars. A lot of people that called it a grandpa car, I told them "Well my grandpa car has 300 horses under the hood. What does your tiny Japanese piece of crap have?" 90% of them had absolutely no idea how fast these cars are. Also, when I show people all the features they are blown away. Traction control, digital compass, rear view mirror that automatically tints when someone tries to high-beam you from behind, bose sound system, separate passenger climate controls, automatic closing trunk, all in a 97?? They are always really impressed.

Some people also have referred to it as a pimpmobile or pimp wagon.

One time I pulled up next to a honda prelude in a parking lot with several young guys crammed into it (you know the type, wannabe gangsters basically). They were giving me a look and kind of snickering to each other. I revved the engine, they tried revving theirs (which sounded like a lawn mower), and I drowned them out completely when I got up to about 4500 RPMs. Kept going up to 5500, the ground shook a bit, they promptly shut the hell up and drove off. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
04 DTS
72 Posts
I think a lot of it is that they WISH they could afford a car like ours..I see PLENTY of people, young, middle age, old, driving these POS cars, like Neons, vans, random generic cars like the camry, and you know for sure when they look at you in your car its a look like damn, how did a guy that young afford that?!

I like to give em a look that says 'yea, my engine is worth more than your whole car is son'

and then show em what a 300 horse N* will do to a LX 4 cyl accord

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Am I the only one that get's tired of hearing people saying Cadillac is for old people? I am 32 and my family members called me an old man when I bought a very nice pearl red 96 Cadillac Deville 3 years ago. But with out fail any time we went out of town on the highway, everybody demanded to ride in the caddy! LOL!! What was even more funny is the fact that they all had newer foreign cars but they prefered the comfortable ride of the cadillac. I believe Cadillac is seen as an old person brand because most young people can't afford brand new Cadillac's, while senior citizens usually can.
If you think about it, Corvette's have the same exact stigma - because most young people can't afford them. So the next time somebody says something about a Cadillac being for old people - ask them, "Corvettes too, right?"..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have to be honest, I don't get any comments about having an old person's car with my 96 Eldorado ETC I just bought. It feels a lot more sporty than the 96 Deville I used to have. My wife even likes the Eldorado better than the Deville and she usually thinks Cadillac's are for old people too. I still like the Deville as much as the Eldorado, there is just something majestic about floating down the highway in a big Caddy. As a matter of fact I'm getting the itch to buy a 99 Deville Concours to add to the fleet.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
14 Posts
Funny, I call mine an 'old mans car'... when it's parked. Then I roast everyone off the line and car pass people on the interstate in a second if I need/want to. I call mine my rocketship because as I depress the pedal on the highway, the car goes into a hover mode and jumps ahead. I never thought this "old mans car" would have so much power.

·
Registered
1967 Coupe Deville, 1989 Coupe Deville
14 Posts
I hear that shit all the time too... SMH I bet these beats will blow that shit outta the water though

1 - 20 of 53 Posts