Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Ok, I'm now having wet dreams over the late 70's Coupe DeVille and I may even consider going MMNIN style (getting one from the junkyard and making it road worthy).

My question is, which of these years are better and what motors do they come with:

-1977
-1978
-1979
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
Don't know which ones are better, but all of them come with the 425cid engine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
989 Posts
2dfx said:
Hey all,

Ok, I'm now having wet dreams over the late 70's Coupe DeVille and I may even consider going MMNIN style (getting one from the junkyard and making it road worthy).

My question is, which of these years are better and what motors do they come with:

-1977
-1978
-1979
Hey, I take offense to that. I actually got it from an impound lot. Not like that's much better. haha. Do yourself a favor and go for pre '73. I hate all that smog on them. '67 eldos are sweet. I love the body style of those. I saw a '69 deville yesterday. Those are sweet also.

But if you'd rather go for the 77-79, Dave will probably give you his opinion. He knows those better than i do.
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MMNineInchNails said:
Hey, I take offense to that. I actually got it from an impound lot. Not like that's much better. haha.
My bad! I didn't know! Don't be hatin' a Caddy brotha, specially the pimp!

MMNineInchNails said:
Do yourself a favor and go for pre '73. I hate all that smog on them. '67 eldos are sweet. I love the body style of those. I saw a '69 deville yesterday. Those are sweet also.
Smog? More specific. And I won't do Pre-73 for 1 main reason = headlights. I can't stand those circles. Let alone sealed beam headlamps altogether but they look good on a 77-79.

MMNineInchNails said:
But if you'd rather go for the 77-79, Dave will probably give you his opinion. He knows those better than i do.
<Paging davesfleetwood to the thread!>
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
These are the headlights in 72s and 73s:


The 74's are rounded:


The 75's and 76's are square:


I'm not sure what 71s looked like, but you can see the 70s on MMNINs car.

Now, if you're looking into 77's 78's and 79's, there really isn't enough differance between them to warrant desire of a particular year. Just steer clear of the optional Olds 350ci diesel engine.

As for engines, the 472 was standard from 68-74, then the 500 was for 75 and 76, and finally the 425 was put in from 77-79.

Personally, I like 75 and 76's because they have the 500, and they're the largest.
 

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
Joined
·
522 Posts
Smog? More specific.[/QUOTE]

1970 DeVille 472cid - 375hp
1971 DeVille 472cid - 375hp
1972 DeVille 472cid - 345hp
1973 DeVille 472cid - 345hp / 220hp net SAE
1974 DeVille 472cid - 202hp - net SAE
1975 DeVille 500cid - 210hp - net SAE
1976 DeVille 500cid - 190hp - net SAE
1977 DeVille 500cid - 180hp - net SAE
1978 DeVille 500cid - 180hp - net SAE
1979 DeVille 425cid - 180hp - net SAE (optional fuel injected 195hp; optional diesel 120hp)
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
71's pretty much looked the same, but the turn signal was in the bumper and there was a caddy emblem in between the head lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
DaveSmed said:
71's pretty much looked the same, but the turn signal was in the bumper and there was a caddy emblem in between the head lights.
BTW dave's caddy is a work of art. No relivence to the topic just wanted to give him props on the car.

As far as the different years the earlier the better IMO b/c of the different laws for exhaust and other stuff.
 

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
Joined
·
7,971 Posts
vanaisa said:
Smog? More specific.

...

1970 DeVille 472cid - 375hp
1971 DeVille 472cid - 375hp
1972 DeVille 472cid - 345hp
1973 DeVille 472cid - 345hp / 220hp net SAE
1974 DeVille 472cid - 202hp - net SAE
1975 DeVille 500cid - 210hp - net SAE
1976 DeVille 500cid - 190hp - net SAE
1977 DeVille 500cid - 180hp - net SAE
1978 DeVille 500cid - 180hp - net SAE
1979 DeVille 425cid - 180hp - net SAE (optional fuel injected 195hp; optional diesel 120hp)
Do you have emmissions laws in your area? If so, you might want to look at the years before they start checking emissions - ask the MVD in your area cause it varies. As for the engines, they really didn't vary too much, definately not as much as those numbers suggest. The only big variations are the compression drops after 72 when it dropped from 10:1 to 8.5:1. Of course there are other small changes that took power away from the later engines.

I'd still say go with a 75-76.
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
davesdeville said:
Do you have emmissions laws in your area? If so, you might want to look at the years before they start checking emissions - ask the MVD in your area cause it varies. As for the engines, they really didn't vary too much, definately not as much as those numbers suggest. The only big variations are the compression drops after 72 when it dropped from 10:1 to 8.5:1. Of course there are other small changes that took power away from the later engines.

I'd still say go with a 75-76.
Ill translate this into American as best as possible.

We do require to go for an emissions test before the DMV will allow us to renew our plates or get the vehicle titled. There are certain limits to the PPM of emissions released, HOWEVER, vehicles made before 1984 are exempt from testing so it really doesn't matter up here!
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
JJhomer83 said:
BTW dave's caddy is a work of art. No relivence to the topic just wanted to give him props on the car.

As far as the different years the earlier the better IMO b/c of the different laws for exhaust and other stuff.
Much thanks for the props on the car. Anyway, regarding emissions equipment, ALL 368/425/472/500 engines had some smog gear. I have the first gen 472 and I have a smog pump with the plumbing integrated into the heads. I would agree with finding one older than the emissions cutoff in your area, then ditch the cats.
 

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac DeVille
Joined
·
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After all this data, i'm thinking either 76 or 77 to maintain the ownership of a 500. I'm swaying more towards the 77 because I find the taillights on the 76 way to thin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
Get as early as you can. Before 72 if possible. For 77, 78, and 79, go for the earliest since the horsepower (from what I remember) if anything decreases each year in the 70s. GET A 70 ELDORADO COUPE!!! 500 cid AND NO POLLUTION CONTROL! :spin: :worship:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Get a '67. That's when they stacked the lights in front. They're awesome looking and have the 472 engine before all the emissions restrictions.





 

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
Joined
·
522 Posts
70coupedeville said:
Get a '67. That's when they stacked the lights in front. They're awesome looking and have the 472 engine before all the emissions restrictions.
Actually ´67 Caddies had 429 engines...
 

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
Joined
·
2,795 Posts
'65 was the first year for the stacked headlights. '68 was the first year for the 472 and the last year for the stacked headlights. (The bottom pic is a '68. You can tell by the way the hood dips down above the parking lights.)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top