Fix, leave it alone, or move on?

• Fix

• Drive it as-is

• Trade it for something more modern

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #41
I think the Gen III design is solid for a sedan and I would consider one as well, however this crowd for the most part doesn't seem fond of it for some reason.
One of my gripes is the integrated exhaust. I'd rather see "pipes", but most cars are following suit with that aesthetic and I also prefer the redesigned grille and badges sans wreath.
It does have its drawbacks. Personally, I prefer the packaging of the gen 2 - exterior size to interior volume is better with our rides IMO. The gen 2 suffers from way too much piano black plastic as well and gone is the pop up nav screen. Upper trim levels of the 2018/19 CTS have pretty much all the modern equipment I think I would want for the next decade. Why I cheat toward the CTS rather than the CT6 is that the CTS looks classy without the opulence whereas the CT6 is almost too showy for an introvert like me. Still, I like the idea of the CT6 enough that it stays on the list. For now.

Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 馃檮
It does have its drawbacks. Personally, I prefer the packaging of the gen 2 - exterior size to interior volume is better with our rides IMO. The gen 2 suffers from way too much piano black plastic as well and gone is the pop up nav screen. Upper trim levels of the 2018/19 CTS have pretty much all the modern equipment I think I would want for the next decade. Why I cheat toward the CTS rather than the CT6 is that the CTS looks classy without the opulence whereas the CT6 is almost too showy for an introvert like me. Still, I like the idea of the CT6 enough that it stays on the list. For now.
Well said all around.

I've had the good fortune to keep my '10 from the elements up until two years ago and it still shows great with the exception of stone chips and some clear peel on the rims. My commute since then also went from 50 miles round trip to 20 and we rarely use it for anything else keeping the odometer on the low side. I'm hoping to get several more years of service out of it before considering a new ride.

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
While driving around I somehow always notice Genll CTS on the road. Rarely do I 'see' the Genlll.

Registered
96 FWB
Finally, some pics:
You call that rust? At least some pics so I can finally vote. From what you describe its 'inner beauty' just stick with this one and let enough depreciation warsh off CT6es so you can afford it together with the Outback even easier. Even 2 more year's progression given current state won't challenge a dealer to recover for resale - especially black eh. Anyway I'm guessing you'll do a dealer for CPO if that's how it works.

Parting thought: From my past use of rust converter I'd experiment with occasionally carefully masking and spraying it on the areas after each cleaning to at least change the color from orange to that dark gray.

[EDIT]
Poll closed 2 mo ago. Ritcha Ratcha Fracka Dadburnnit.......

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #45
You call that rust? At least some pics so I can finally vote. From what you describe its 'inner beauty' just stick with this one and let enough depreciation warsh off CT6es so you can afford it together with the Outback even easier. Even 2 more year's progression given current state won't challenge a dealer to recover for resale - especially black eh. Anyway I'm guessing you'll do a dealer for CPO if that's how it works.

Parting thought: From my past use of rust converter I'd experiment with occasionally carefully masking and spraying it on the areas after each cleaning to at least change the color from orange to that dark gray.

[EDIT]
I reset the poll - all results cleared. Now that there are pics, people can "cast their vote" with knowledge...

Registered
2009 CTS 3.6L DI rebuilt to FE3 J55 G80 3.42:1
While driving around I somehow always notice Genll CTS on the road. Rarely do I 'see' the Genlll.
They sold 3X more gen 2, so no surprise there.

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #47

[EDIT]
And, yes, I will do that. POR15 is my rust converter of choice.

Registered
That LF fender didn't take long to rust. Poor quality metal or insufficient paint prep?

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #49
That LF fender didn't take long to rust. Poor quality metal or insufficient paint prep?
I am going with the paint or both. Ebay. To buy it pre-painted and shipped to Ogdensburg (about 30 minutes from here - I am at the southern edge of Ottawa) was less than half of the price of buying one locally. It was fine until this fall but it'll be a mess really soon and it has to go.

Registered
I am going with the paint or both. Ebay. To buy it pre-painted and shipped to Ogdensburg (about 30 minutes from here - I am at the southern edge of Ottawa) was less than half of the price of buying one locally. It was fine until this fall but it'll be a mess really soon and it has to go.
Not a GM fender? Apparently the salt reveals any weakness.

Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
Which is why, in case of an accident, you must spec OEM parts.

Reactions: Lifespeed

Registered
I think @NorthernSRX is struggling with cost/benefit analysis as his beloved CTS slowly returns to the soil from which it came. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Registered

Registered
I think @NorthernSRX is struggling with cost/benefit analysis as his beloved CTS slowly returns to the soil from which it came. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.
We should all take this as a compliment to our vehicle selection.
If it wasn't such a good car, the decision to move on would be easy.

Registered
So true. When the Genlll came out I remember a thread and our collective opinion was 'Blah'. Nothing has changed. These Genll still stand out in a crowd.

Registered
96 FWB
I only recall how that revised rear seemed to have gotten its styling cues from my BIL's Aztec. The wagon remained my most coveted lines, - still do. I'm only kicking it to curb now 'cause the CT6 is bigger and heavier. Well, and just a little uglier maybe.

Registered
So true. When the Genlll came out I remember a thread and our collective opinion was 'Blah'. Nothing has changed. These Genll still stand out in a crowd.
The switch to strut suspension was an interesting choice. Usually it would be considered inferior, but I have driven a 2014 Vsport and it would be hard to describe as less than the Gen II.

I really wanted a Gen III Vsport, but sending the kids to college is more important.

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #58
We should all take this as a compliment to our vehicle selection.
If it wasn't such a good car, the decision to move on would be easy.
This hits the nail on the head. I have never before had any reluctance to move on from a car of this vintage and mileage.

Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
the Alpha platform the Gen lll begins with (Camaro, ATS, CTS) is superior to the Sigma Gen ll...at least that's what the car mags all say...I would have liked to have tried one...

Bill

Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
Discussion Starter #60
the Alpha platform the Gen lll begins with (Camaro, ATS, CTS) is superior to the Sigma Gen ll...at least that's what the car mags all say...I would have liked to have tried one...

Bill
I have driven a few of the gen III and it is a superior chassis to the gen II IMO - considerable tighter. I just don't want to move into something that I think is going down in tech or luxury so the trim level matters quite a bit (my gen 2 is fully loaded). I am actually open to getting an 18/19 3.6L Premium Luxury AWD with the Technology and Performance Packages - despite some reservations I have. But, the CTS was a low volume seller up here and used examples configured in specific ways? Hens' teeth. Heck, CT6s are more plentiful - and only about $10k more expensive!

41 - 60 of 89 Posts