• Fix

• Drive it as-is

• Trade it for something more modern

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,486 Posts
that's what I ask myself...can I buy anything like this for the amount of money it's worth...usually the answer is "No"...

you know already know what you've done to it and you've treated it well...you know the answer...;)

Bill

·
Registered
2007 SRX 4 V6
22 Posts
On the rust note. I plan on fixing it. I've looked for patch panels for my wife's 2007 SRX4 and can't find anything. Does anyone know where to find decent sheet metal besides cutting it out from a car in the salvage yard?

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,061 Posts
Only a body shop or a custom metal fabricator like myself, lol.

·
Registered
2007 SRX 4 V6
22 Posts
Only a body shop or a custom metal fabricator like myself, lol.
:rolleyes: I can fabricate this myself, I was just looking for it to be a bit easier and less time consuming with a stamped part to cut out the rust and weld in. :)

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
393 Posts
Dump it. Rust generally starts from the inside and works it's way out. You probably have a lot more rust spots just waiting to happen.

·
Registered
96 FWB
1,661 Posts
2 dozen replies and recommendations running the gamut. Pics in concert with background in the first post is about the only way to select 'best fit' from the 3 survey options.

Even without visuals, as long as it's at the dogleg and/or fender lip I'm defaulting to a body color match 'clear bra' wrap type solution like oem vinyl 'rock chip protectors' behind really tucked quarters. That'll carry for a few years to recover the majority of all the careful maint. and upkeep already invested.

·
2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
3,467 Posts
I'd put on a lift and then decide. The underside will often tell more than the top. Once spent three days under a car from New Hampshire with a wire brush and Rustolium but did clean up OK and kept for a decade.

·
Registered
2007 SRX 4 V6
22 Posts
I know there is more under it. Most of it can be replaced with sheet metal no body lines to worry about. Might just be able to get away with the minimum and get something to replace it next year. It is a fine line between fix and dump no doubt.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I gave my car a hand warsh today (it was sunny and just above freezing) and was astounded by how much the rust progressed this winter. This is tipping me toward the "replace" option as I suspect that the body work might get ridiculous given this car's age.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
16,061 Posts
Tough times, tough decision. My advice, son...start drinking heavily.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I assume you live in salt country. Keep it as winter car if you do. Cut metal flashing to fit the holes if any, and paint to match rattle can type. That what Ii did in Southern MI when I lived there to my winter toyota.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I assume you live in salt country. Keep it as winter car if you do. Cut metal flashing to fit the holes if any, and paint to match rattle can type. That what Ii did in Southern MI when I lived there to my winter toyota.
Thanks. I have done this so many times in cars of my youth and just don't want to go down that path again. It's endless and I will never be happy with how it looks. The car is not without its issues but it's in great shape other than the much-needed bodywork.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Finally, some pics:

RR fender dog leg:

RF fender dog leg:

LR fender wheel well arch:

Finally, a sample of the rust bubbling up along the entire wheel well arch of the new LF fender:

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And, yes, we use salt on our roads up here. Pretty much every car of this vintage in Ontario has some rust unless it's been winter garaged. Ottawa gets a lot of freezing rain as well - as opposed to snow (which can be just plowed), ice demands the use of salt up here. The environmental pressures are mounting for cities to use alternatives but I don't see that taking hold for a while.

I also expect my use of a car to decline as I envision a career shift before next winter so the idea of a winter car and summer car appeals to me but, frankly, so does this: 2019 Cadillac CT6 AWD Sport

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
I did the winter rat gig from sixteen through my twenties and then again when I bought the CTS up until 2 years ago. It's nice for preservation, but with my boys driving and a daughter who will be next year I have that many more vehicles to keep an eye on.
Simply a full time job by itself and winter beaters are usually a chore to work on. No, thanks.

Sounds like you're closing in on a decision. Don't be a stranger when you move up, Northern.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I did the winter rat gig from sixteen through my twenties and then again when I bought the CTS up until 2 years ago. It's nice for preservation, but with my boys driving and a daughter who will be next year I have that many more vehicles to keep an eye on.
Simply a full time job by itself and winter beaters are usually a chore to work on. No, thanks.

Sounds like you're closing in on a decision. Don't be a stranger when you move up, Northern.
Yeah, I have no stomach for "beaters". My vehicle is now seven model years older than the next youngest car in the family fleet of four. In my perfect future, I would have something like a Subaru Outback to ferry myself to triathlons/marathons and something nicer for going to the theatre, golfing, dinners, etc. For the latter, the CT6 interests me a lot because I love the styling - particularly after the '19 front clip redesign - but then again, the gen 3 CTS interests me as well but not in an emotional way. And I am even less emotionally interested in the CT5 despite my appreciation for the tech and performance improvements from the gen 3 CTS. Unfortunately, I have spec'ed out the latter and configured as I would want it, I could get both an Outback and a low mileage 2019 CT6.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
11,156 Posts
I think the Gen III design is solid for a sedan and I would consider one as well, however this crowd for the most part doesn't seem fond of it for some reason.
One of my gripes is the integrated exhaust. I'd rather see "pipes", but most cars are following suit with that aesthetic and I also prefer the redesigned grille and badges sans wreath.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts