Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i need some help please, i bought a 1995 seville cadi. in Jan. this year. boy was i excited, it's in mint cond, drives great, i bought it for 8,000.00 the milage on it when i bought it was 103,000. i have put 2,000 miles on it and 2 weeks ago the check engine oil message came on, so i checked it and it was on add. so i put oil in it, when i bought it the oil had just been changed it was full, it had 950 miles to go before the next oil change, i got an app. at the dealer and had the oil changed again and told them what happend with the oil, he came back and told me that i had to have a seal replaced and it was going to cost 2,000.00 dollars. they said the reason it cost so much was because they had to pull the whole motor out. can i put something in it to swell the seal back up? has anyone had this problem? after i left the dealers i drove it 6 miles and noticed a puddle under it, so i got up the next morning and it was on the 2nd line below full, i checked it after the dealers and it was full of oil. can i keep driveing it and just keep adding oil? i even put it on 4 blocks and let it idel for 20min and turned it off and put cardboard under it and went back out the next morning and no oil on the carboard, i had already wiped off the oil it let out the night before and it was still clean didnt even leak a drop. whats the deal does it only leak ceartin times or something? it drives perfect nothing else is wrong with it. please help im so up set cause 2,000.00 is a lot of money. thanks!:banghead:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
If the oil is over-filled, it will "push-out" the extra. Then once the oil level is correct, it will appear to stop leaking. This MAY be the case with your car. I know some people that run the oil level 1Qt. low on purpose to combat the dreaded case half seal leak.
As for putting something in the engine to "swell" the seals, there is no "miracle in a can". If you are running light weight synthetic oil, you might reduce the leakage by changing to a 10w-30 dino oil.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
148 Posts
Something like a Valvoline high mile motor oil is supposed to "rejuvenate" your seals and gaskets, help them get back some life, but like Katshot said, there's nothing that will suddenly cure your problem. Also, please don't go out and buy any of the "stop leak" additives. Many times they work, but as they seal your leak, they also coat all of your internals with that crap.
I might also suggest that you check your throttle body and PCV valve. I would think that if you had too much oil in the crankcase, it would make it's way back up into the throttle body. Are there vacuum problems with our crankcases? Someone add on here if I'm wrong, or have any other advice in addition.

·
Registered
586 Posts
according to GM, it is "normal" for a northstar to consume about a quart every 1000 miles. It has a very aggressive hone and causes oil to leak by the rings. But because of this, the motor will last alot longer. I just keep an extra quart in the spare tire well in my trunk for when the message comes up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts