Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'99 Seville STS; '96/7 ETC
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
though I doubt anyone's noticed.

Anyway numerous trips away including 2 to the US, meant long succession of short weeks so work always got in the way of catching up with the site.

Never did get those PIAA intense white 9006's - so I guess that'll have to wait 'til next year - unless anyone knows where I can get them on line for sensible money . . .

Better new on the brake front though - some of you may recall the long, fragmented, saga of the car's voracious appetite for l/h r pads. O'Reilly's did the honourable thing (as their customer services dept said they would) & gave me a full refund for the defective calliper - thank you, the extremely patient, helpful staff in the Baxter Springs store! I have to say, I was half expecting the sort of fight i would have here in a similar situation, with the store denying fault &/or blaming the manufacturer.

They also sourced a rear hub for me at another store on my itinerary (I figured if I could schlep a calliper back on a plane, I could take a hub home with me - & save a small fortune in freight, tax & duty!), especially as I thought they might be less likely to be difficult if I wanted an exchange, rather than a refund.

Back in the US about a month later, this time with the original calliper, to send back to the ever helpful Vince Axley at Doug's NW Cadillac (in Shoreline, WA) to get the core charge refunded for the calliper he'd supplied back in January - even though 1/2 of it went on postage (& that was only from Memphis, TN)!

After that this gets a bit technical & so rightfully belongs elsewhere - suffice to say now have operational brakes all round AND, after 18 months, now ABS or TC lights permanently on.

Weekend after next we're back over to Ireland for another American car show, so all is well with me & my Caddy (or at least, better than it has been for some time).

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I noticed you were gone. I figured things came up or you temporarily lost internet, something like that. Where I live, I sometimes lose internet for a couple days. But welcome back!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
Damn International hub smugglers...where is the TSA when we need them.

Just don't get in so deep you start having to "keister" them just to get past security....:lol:

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Damn International hub smugglers...where is the TSA when we need them.

Just don't get in so deep you start having to "keister" them just to get past security....:lol:
=========================
Just don't get in so deep you start having to "keister" them just to get past security..
keister a caliper? -:shocked::holycrap: OOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW:crying2::crying:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ratmonster for giving me a curiously, & uncharacteristically, warm feeling of belonging.

My problem is simply that I'm only on line at work, so between those 4/5 long weekends on the trot there wasn't much time to do more than try & catch up.

As for you other 2 guys - thanks for giving me a laugh, nice to know I managed to set off some of the nonsense that creeps into this forum.

Actually flying parts (especially used ones) in your hand luggage IS considered a suspicious activity. One airport official asked, rather accusingly, "Have yo got auto parts in there?" Then there was the nonsense of the old calliper I was returning because (a) it had to be returned in its original packaging & (b) I knew customs/security would want to see it; that meant I couldn't bring it ready to post but, rather, putting it in the thickest clear plastic bag I could find, folding the box flat and bringing wrapping paper & parcel tape with me - so I could pack it all up for the post in my hotel room!

b-t-w, did I really "say" "now ABS or TC lights permanently on."? Of course that was a typo, I meant "no ABS or TC lights permanently on." i.e. the exact opposite. Now, if only I could work out how to remove the driver's seat (remember this is a RHD model) I could replace the air bag sensor - & knock out the final glowering warning light!

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
I really was wondering how they handled something so heavy and dense going carry-on.

Theoretically could be considered a bludgeoning tool/weapon.
I could imagine running into the wrong agent and having issues.
Glad it all worked out for you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it was all good THIS time (2 years ago they wouldn't me bring a pair liftgate struts for my Cherokee back - in case they exploded!).

There was me thinking the weight was the problem (like when Air New Zealand weigh in carry-ons) & last year the wheel bearings on my case collapsed under the calliper, I set front pads & other, smaller, odds & ends.

At least if I run into other problems another time I can't say I wasn't warned - but, of course, I'll feign naivety.

Hopefully thought, in future years, it'll only be service items.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts