Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why redo? Dead cats. Passenger pictured, drivers was eroded away from inside, not quite a hole yet. Oh yeah, gasket had a hole too, looks a bit like the catback graphite gaskets eh? Leak city
Please see StealthV and many others install write-ups, won't bore you. I'm glad i did the studs, percy's gaskets, new Magnecors/plugs.

The factory plugs are strange, tiny points:

Thats alot of pipes:

After install, noticed 2 driver side plugs contacted pipes, but no melting yet. Tried some aluminum tape for a temp fix. Any other ideas?

I went cat-less. You NEED front O2 extenders. The ones I got at Summit didn't perfectly fit. They had "tabs" inside the plug I had to grind off, nor did they clip. Anybody have any better fitting extenders please post. They do work however. Line up the factory "a,b,c,d" wires to your extenders.

Thanks: StealthV, wildwhl, others...for giving me the courage to do this.
urbanski difficulty: 8
beers: 0, still hungover.
time: 8 hours, 2 days.
Do it again? HELL YEAH. Louder? No, i already had dead cats, but the open tubes give a "growl" or "snarl" on deceleration. Not burble, not popping, but the sound is louder and higher pitched that it was. Accel is no different....but worthy of another round of sound deadener in teh trunk :p

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Urb,

You need a couple of heat resistant spark plug boots. You can get then through Summit. That chunk missing out of your CAT is in the parking lot at Hooters. When you drove off it shot out. We all had quite a giggle:histeric:
You and your sound deadening. That car's going to be a rolling piece of Peel and Seal. :D

Shane

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now we're on teh subject of B&B exhaust, let me clear something up. It was recently misreported that a 3" system would hit the ground and needed skid plates like a 4x4. This may be the case on other cars, my system has NEVER hit anything ever .
StealthVs stock exhaust, lightened to show detail:

This is my car:

you can see the BB hangs down in places below the frame rail, but having redone it countless times i have no scrapes, dents, nor need to "fabricate and weld" things to "protect" it. Nor has anybody here ever complained of such. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
Urb,
Glad to see you finished her, I knew you could do it...
Everytime you change them it gets easier and less time involved.. You have to love re-work... lol
Great job my friend....:thumbsup:

Bill

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
urbanski said:
I went cat-less. You NEED front O2 extenders. The ones I got at Summit didn't perfectly fit. They had "tabs" inside the plug I had to grind off, nor did they clip. Anybody have any better fitting extenders please post. They do work however. Line up the factory "a,b,c,d" wires to your extenders.
:banghead: I ordered the exact ones you did thinking I got the right ones! I have to make that son of a bitch to fit perfectly.

Also, the tailpipes on my bb exhaust hits the floor when I go up the curb.

Urb, so do I just grind off the tabs from the inside? and line up the factory wires to my extenders?

·
Registered
none
302 Posts
urbanski said:
Why redo? Dead cats. Passenger pictured, drivers was eroded away from inside, not quite a hole yet. Oh yeah, gasket had a hole too, looks a bit like the catback graphite gaskets eh? Leak city
Please see StealthV and many others install write-ups, won't bore you. I'm glad i did the studs, percy's gaskets, new Magnecors/plugs.

The factory plugs are strange, tiny points:

Thats alot of pipes:

After install, noticed 2 driver side plugs contacted pipes, but no melting yet. Tried some aluminum tape for a temp fix. Any other ideas?

Thanks: StealthV, wildwhl, others...for giving me the courage to do this.
urbanski difficulty: 8
beers: 0, still hungover.
time: 8 hours, 2 days.
Do it again? HELL YEAH. Louder? No, i already had dead cats, but the open tubes give a "growl" or "snarl" on deceleration. Not burble, not popping, but the sound is louder and higher pitched that it was. Accel is no different....but worthy of another round of sound deadener in teh trunk :p
Derek

Shoot me an email if you want to unload the headers with the "dead cats."

Good meeting you on Saturday.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Running without cats will have a smell. I'm running a few days without cats till I can get to RT on Thursday. I'm hoping SW wont have all the quality issues that B&B has. Y'all must be pissed about all the problems (bad gaskets, O2 sensor not long enough or wrong kind, contacting plug wires, eroded cats, etc.). Well good luck....maybe y'all have all the wrinkles worked out!

·
Registered
269 Posts
ssmith100 said:
Urb,

You need a couple of heat resistant spark plug boots. You can get then through Summit. That chunk missing out of your CAT is in the parking lot at Hooters. When you drove off it shot out. We all had quite a giggle:histeric:
You and your sound deadening. That car's going to be a rolling piece of Peel and Seal. :D

Shane
lol.....

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
I just got everything up and running. I don't know if it's because im running my headers with no cats, no resonators, and the x-pipe.....but the car see to make a whining noise when you rev the car and when the car starts to drop from a high rpm? I have no engine lights or warning of any sort.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts