Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so yes i am a caddy tech and i should knwo a trick to doing this but i work on lifts all day and im not as handy on the ground.

so i see a ton of fluid on the front of my motor right around the timing cover on the firewall side, i beilieve it to be atf since the oil is brand new and still full but the atf was at the cold line way after the car reached N.O.T. i then saw that my axle shaft seemed to not be pushed in all the way into the tranny i could see about a 1/4 inch portion of the shiny end of the half shaft, i dont really wanna drive aroun like this as it makes a horible shudder on accel.. but i really cant think of an easy way to push the shaft in all i have available is a jack, the one the car came with, and my tools how do i get enough leverage to pushthe shaft is when its too low to get a pry bar on the jack goes about a foot and a half.. and when i push it feels like the car is gonna fall onto me. i have all kinds of tools but no shop air so im tryin to find a trick to gettting it popped in where i dont have to take the spindle nut off is this possible on the ground? or should i just man up and pop the ball joint and remove the nut?

-BMC

·
Registered
82 fleetwood - 97 deville
452 Posts
ok so yes i am a caddy tech and i should knwo a trick to doing this but i work on lifts all day and im not as handy on the ground.

so i see a ton of fluid on the front of my motor right around the timing cover on the firewall side, i beilieve it to be atf since the oil is brand new and still full but the atf was at the cold line way after the car reached N.O.T. i then saw that my axle shaft seemed to not be pushed in all the way into the tranny i could see about a 1/4 inch portion of the shiny end of the half shaft, i dont really wanna drive aroun like this as it makes a horible shudder on accel.. but i really cant think of an easy way to push the shaft in all i have available is a jack, the one the car came with, and my tools how do i get enough leverage to pushthe shaft is when its too low to get a pry bar on the jack goes about a foot and a half.. and when i push it feels like the car is gonna fall onto me. i have all kinds of tools but no shop air so im tryin to find a trick to gettting it popped in where i dont have to take the spindle nut off is this possible on the ground? or should i just man up and pop the ball joint and remove the nut?

-BMC
i would man up...but thats me...i've never seen a cadillac do this before...might be some other underlying issues here...

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
What Year Make Model?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know me nither i thought it was just the seal leaking and slinging atf all over but then i saw that gap and thouhgt "greaat" ight guess i gotta go find a lift...or some better jack stands

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
So you are a Cadillac tech? And you have a problem with your Cadillac? You don't seek the assistance of your fellow Caddilac techs? You ask for help from shadetree mechanics? Hmmmm

Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its a 95, i work at chevy, gmc caddy dealer here in NH, its ust me an my friend doin the caddys that come in. we just never work on things in driveways. u know how it is wit techs, we take our time on everything that comes in the shop but when it comes to our own cars we become incredibly lazy haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and btw if anyone ever finds out this happend (which i hope u dont) an easy way to pop that axle in is to leave ur wheel on but pop the lower ball joint, straightin out ur wheels and kick the bottom of the wheel u want the alxe to pop in on it will slam right in.

-BMC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts