Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was racing a Mustang GT, when I shifted from 2-3rd I missed 3rd and heard a loud pop bang sound. I got worried. What could of happened? It might of just been me being paranoid but my rear end felt a little wierd afterwards.

also how do i go about getting my synchros and transmission looked at. I have told my dealership that something feels wierd with my clutch/synchos/tranny...but they havent done anything about it.
Would these parts be covered under warranty and replaced at no extra charge?

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
With all due respect, the dealership should not cover it. They may, but they shouldn't. You've just told the entire online that you did something that broke your car. Why should GM have to pay for your actions? If you were shifting normally and it broke, then GM should pay, but you said you did it.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Did you miss the gear entirely (free revs) or did you deactuate the clutch in mid shift (grind-grind)? Or did you hit fifth instead of third?

With respect to your transmission weirdness: dealer performance on warranty claims appears to be all over the map. It's a part of the drivetrain that SHOULD be covered under both normal and extended warranty, but YMMV based on your mods and whether it's your dealer's time of the month.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
GOTTSPD said:
With all due respect, the dealership should not cover it. They may, but they shouldn't. You've just told the entire online that you did something that broke your car. Why should GM have to pay for your actions? If you were shifting normally and it broke, then GM should pay, but you said you did it.
I thought about saying that, but wimped out. Something about the Cadillac being built for performance makes me think that fast acceleration and rapid shifting should be within the relm of normal driving. But if you blow a shift, you blow a shift.

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
Urby will pull this thread if you ask nicely.

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
GOTTSPD said:
I suppose I'm confused.

When do we NOT do "something" that breaks our car? If you really break it down, the only way we aren't doing "something" is when the car is parked!

It's a VERY grey line and I'm not sure the answer is so cut-and-dry that the dealership should not cover it.

·
Registered
CTS-V
252 Posts
sounds to me like you just grinded the gear. You're not the first person to do that. Car will be fine. I Miss 3rd every once in a while, sometimes just miss it, sometimes grind it, and everything still runs perfectly. woudln't worry too much

Ben

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you being serious. Look at Gm's advertisements for this car. "BANG 0-60 in under 5 seconds. BANG - shows 2 V series cars driving aggresively through the woods. BANG the new performance V series "for the enthusiast"

How can they market the car to be DRIVEN. And then the Consumer doesnt DRIVE it. This car was built to be driven, and if shit happens from pushing it to the limit CADILLAC AND GM should cover it no questions asked. If they didnt expect lots of abusive/agressive drivers to buy this car, then they wouldnt of marketed it as such.

I understand I miss-shifted, but still I dont think saying simply because I drive the car like it was advertised that my dealership shouldnt cover items.

Lawfive - I cant really remember what happened. I believe I went to put it into third and just missed. Not into 5th. There wasnt really a grind just a loud noise that was very BANGISH :gun: I would have to say out of the three things u mentioned it was most like a free rev miss.

Thanks for any help offered.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is there anything to look for/feel for if my diff is cracked or w/e. I didnt hear any whining or anything. definetly always lots of clunking tho - but that has been happening ALL THE TIME, and even after numerous dealer visits my clunk is still as loud and obnoxious as day 1 - the clunk makes it sound like my cars going to break when I shift gears.

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I had the dealer tell me when my transmission was rebuilt that I was over reving the transmission and it was "outside the design parameters". To which I replied huh? After a little back and forth while the tech tried to show me how smart I wasn't, I reasoned with him that the LS6 was rev' limited correct? He replied yes. Then how could I over-rev the transmission that is in fact attached to the engine? Did GM actually attach a transmission that was not matched to the performance of the engine? I mean that would be like installing a rear differential that was meant to be behind a V6 or something. GM wouldn't do that would they? He quickly changed the subject. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
If the diff internals were bad you'd hear it: whine at a minimum; worse noises more likely. If your case is cracked you'll most likely notice that you're leaving puddles of fluid.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
CVP33 said:
I had the dealer tell me when my transmission was rebuilt that I was over reving the transmission and it was "outside the design parameters". To which I replied huh? After a little back and forth while the tech tried to show me how smart I wasn't, I reasoned with him that the LS6 was rev' limited correct? He replied yes. Then how could I over-rev the transmission that is in fact attached to the engine? Did GM actually attach a transmission that was not matched to the performance of the engine? I mean that would be like installing a rear differential that was meant to be behind a V6 or something. GM wouldn't do that would they? He quickly changed the subject. :rolleyes:
LMAO--great story... and perfect logic...

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
I kinda have the same clunking noise really bad. I took her in and had the diff replaced. No noises, clunks, whines etc. 500 miles of easy driving. I didn't bash on it no hard shifts, I still think there is some glass back there. Than one day when pulling into the gas station I didn't put the clutch in fast enough, so I couldn't gently ease it in and bang. Then pulling out I could swore I herd something break. I was late to work, so I had to get there, looking in the rearview I didn't see anything (bolts or anything larger) so I kept going. Now she clunks worse then before I brought her in. In the snow. besides the wheels just sliding, I get a stuttering noise that sounds like wheelhop, but how can it be? There is no pavement to get intermitent grip.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't be too concerned if you haven't heard anything since. I can't ever recall missing 3rd, but I've missed 5th twice. Oddly enough, the second time was with a Mustang GT, at 7,000 RPM, approaching 140. Youch....:eek:

The POP sound was probably the sound the shifter mechanism made after your "partial" gear insertion was rejected and thrown back out into neutral. Either that it was the gears coming together out of synch, but we don't want to talk about that. :thehand:

·
Registered
12,007 Posts
New failure mode?

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
Luna,
Somthing breaks when its parked and its coverd, huh?!?

I believe that Barak's car was parked when his battery kept going dead and they still would not fix it without some "issues." So there goes that theory...

I guess they wont cover anything by that logic (and the funny thing is, I agree with that logic!)

Reed

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
ctsvett said:
Luna,
Somthing breaks when its parked and its coverd, huh?!?
Reed
Well, if something breaks when it's parked and covered, I think someone would have a hard time stating that the driver/owner did something to the car to make that happen.

ctsvett said:
I believe that Barak's car was parked when his battery kept going dead and they still would not fix it without some "issues." So there goes that theory...

I guess they wont cover anything by that logic (and the funny thing is, I agree with that logic!)

Reed
Apparently, it was the fact that Barak DROVE his car that was causing the battery to die---oh--wait a minute---no--that is incorrect---it was that he left his ignition on for over 5 minutes!! :banghead:

LOL--these guys crack me up

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
Are you being serious. Look at Gm's advertisements for this car. "BANG 0-60 in under 5 seconds. BANG - shows 2 V series cars driving aggresively through the woods. BANG the new performance V series "for the enthusiast"

How can they market the car to be DRIVEN. And then the Consumer doesnt DRIVE it. This car was built to be driven, and if shit happens from pushing it to the limit CADILLAC AND GM should cover it no questions asked. If they didnt expect lots of abusive/agressive drivers to buy this car, then they wouldnt of marketed it as such.

I understand I miss-shifted, but still I dont think saying simply because I drive the car like it was advertised that my dealership shouldnt cover items.

Thanks for any help offered.
That's just ridiculous "logic". If you drove a Hummer off a tall rock and wrecked it, GM wouldn't pay for it just because they have a commercial showing a Hummer climbing a rock.

The "Bang" commercial you referenced did not show someone missing a shift. You weren't "pushing it to the limit", you screwed up and did something dumb. It happens, but that doesn't make it GM's fault.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts