Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We havent got a convertible in our current selection, and we would like one.

A Mercedes CLK 500 Elegance TipTronic (7 Speed)

These are the prices for a 2004:

Cost New ('04) £ 48712
Franchised Dealer £ 39790
Independent Dealer £ 39790
Private Good £ 38750
Private Poor £ 32180
Part Exchange £ 34945

Not bad, nice car, the wife can drive it daily.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they brought the Mustang here with RHD I'd buy one, as it stands im left with an array of things, almost everyhting has been considered in this search

The Audi doesnt really hit a string with us as much as we thought, the wife likes it, but it isnt different

The S2000 is nice, but its not what we want, we'd like somethign with a V8 and a convertible

So we considered a TVR Tuscan, but under hard driving these things practically need an engine rebuild every 15,000 miles.....

The CLK would majke a great car to have some fun in, and to get Claire to work every day.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
CLK's I like, I dont know too much about them though

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I~LUV~Caddys8792 said:
CLK's I like, I dont know too much about them though
Well its going to be a bigger engined model, a CLK500 or a CLK55 AMG.

If we can get the 55 for about £45k we can have one, any mroe and I'll jsut get a 500.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
I used to like the last generation CLK, but this new one seems like a womans car. Ive seen quite a few on the road, and its all been women who have been driving them. I dont know if that matters to you, but I wouldnt drive one.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caddy Man said:
I used to like the last generation CLK, but this new one seems like a womans car. Ive seen quite a few on the road, and its all been women who have been driving them. I dont know if that matters to you, but I wouldnt drive one.
Its fine my wife is a woman :p:thumbsup: :suspect:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
mccombie_5 said:
Its fine my wife is a woman :p:thumbsup: :suspect:
sorry! didnt see if was a car for your wife to drive daily. haha then go for it!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Caddy Man said:
sorry! didnt see if was a car for your wife to drive daily. haha then go for it!
LOL

Id have to drive it too, but its looking good for this, thena gain, shes very temperamental.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
is that a folding hardtop or a softtop?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
airbalancer said:
My wife loves the 323 CIC I got for her this summer.
But she feels like she is in a COFFIN NOW THAT THE HARDTOP is now.
Her only problem was her hair got beach out because of the sun.
The 3 Series is nice, my mother has a 2005 330cd, coupe though. I like the drive, but I'm not usre how the wife feels, is the biggest engine they put in a 3.0?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If she wants a convertible I would get her:
1. MB 500SL
2. BMW 645Ci Convertible
3. C6 Corvette Convertible
Only the best for the Mccombie women :D

The new CLK just doesnt do it for me. I think its a very poorly executed re-do of the E-Class its based on. It looks like a car with so much more potential than they built into it. The original CLK didnt suffer from that problem, it was perfectly proportioned and had a quality appearance to it. Its two biggest problems are the extremely poor selection of small wheels, and the way the back end was done just doesnt give the same impression going as it does coming. Thats just my opinion, Ive never liked the new one.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Playdrv4me said:
If she wants a convertible I would get her:
1. BMW Z8
2. MB 500SL
3. C6 Corvette Convertible
Only the best for the Mccombie women :D
The new CLK just doesnt do it for me. I think its a very poorly executed re-do of the E-Class its based on. It looks like a car with so much more potential than they built into it. The original CLK didnt suffer from that problem, it was perfectly proportioned and had a quality appearance to it. Thats just my opinion, Ive never liked the new one.
Not bad suggestions there, apart from the Vette, I could never own one or have one in my garage, i just have issues with them.

The Z8 is beautiful, but Ive never driven one, might look into that, I heard reviews that sounded: "It handled like a bar of soap"

The SL isnt a bad idea, we had a 320SL whent he square ones were new out, that was really nice too. That one is possible.

The CLK IMO is a nice car, I only dislike the rear quarter panel, its too big, but thats as many on most new cars.

Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
SL600 2d Auto 2000/W
Insurance Group 20 (get a quote)
Average mileage: 50,000 miles
Cost New ('00) £ 96305
Franchised Dealer £ 26380
Independent Dealer £ 25070
Private Good £ 22890
Private Poor £ 20055
Part Exchange £ 21580

Thats for a 2000 model:

Like these alot, particularly with the same 6.0 V12 in my S600.

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yea. The square SL's are very nice too. Thats probably the last of the "timeless" SL designs. The new one is finely sculpted, much like the XLR, but wont last as a timeless design.

I changed my Z8 recommendation to the new BMW 645CiC btw... I think they are a little more palatable than the Z8's since those Z8s are quite rare.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 645Ci Convertible JUST comes in under our price cap.

£44,000.

Thats interesting I never thought id get one for that.

Hmmm

(the reason I put the old SL is ebcause I dont want one of thos heavy folding roof things.)

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
The 645 would probably be my favorite of all those. They are not too common, are probably the best execution of the Bangle styling era, and most of all, its got 4 usable seats like the CLK. Much more enjoyable drivers car too.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Playdrv4me said:
The 645 would probably be my favorite of all those. They are not too common, are probably the best execution of the Bangle styling era, and most of all, its got 4 usable seats like the CLK. Much more enjoyable drivers car too.
Having ran a 4.5 V8 its also a fantastic engine. Have you heard anythign about the I-Drive?

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
Yes it seems the I-Drive is everpresent... BUT... its been simplfied in operation in each subsequent generation. I would never discount a BMW over I-Drive alone, but I know it can be frustrating for some.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts