Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Sedan DeVille, 4.9, 4T60E
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 Sedan DeVille with 4.9 and 72,500 miles. Has the I039 code which prompted me to short the ALDL and retrieve the codes from the module, I get two. I have a question about one.

code 23-Left front actuator error (does this mean strut? Or is there another actuator? Trying to determine if this is getting repaired or bypassed. Please answer my question and don’t just say “bypass it”, I was a mechanic for 20 years, I can figure out what to do once THAT question is answered)

code 31-this is just the dive sensor I’m fairly certain which is still available I think.

Basically, if code 23 is a strut, it’s getting bypassed (I know how already) and if it’s a smaller, replaceable sensor it’s getting repaired.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not all that familiar with OBD1 codes, but on the lists I have code 23 is: Intake air temp sensor error (low temp indicated) Hopefully someone with a good knowledge of OBD1 will chime in to help you.
Welcome the CF!
Thank you for the welcome but these are not engine codes and it’s not going to show up on a regular DTC list. This is for the suspension system and these are codes from the suspension module in the trunk.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,161 Posts
okay, then. If it's not on a regular DTC list (and what list is it?), and you already know what it means, and where the module is in the trunk, and what the definition is, I wonder what answer you're seeking out of the dozens and dozens of replies you've gotten?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,867 Posts
1994 Sedan DeVille with 4.9 and 72,500 miles. Has the I039 code which prompted me to short the ALDL and retrieve the codes from the module, I get two. I have a question about one.

code 23-Left front actuator error (does this mean strut? Or is there another actuator? Trying to determine if this is getting repaired or bypassed. Please answer my question and don’t just say “bypass it”, I was a mechanic for 20 years, I can figure out what to do once THAT question is answered)

code 31-this is just the dive sensor I’m fairly certain which is still available I think.

Basically, if code 23 is a strut, it’s getting bypassed (I know how already) and if it’s a smaller, replaceable sensor it’s getting repaired.
=====================
first let me say that thee are SEVERAL OBD1 - Cadillac - "code 23"
23. IATS ( Intake Air temp sensor ) – Out of range, low resistance
23 . RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault - (ABS)
23 . Driver Initiator Circuit Voltage High (SIR - air bags)
23 . RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault - (TCS)
23 . EST Signal problem [EGR] - (PCM)
interesting - there is no code 23 for the RSS suspension system -

code 23-Left front actuator error (does this mean strut?
NO - struts are referred to as DAMPERS -

in fact - where did you get that definition?
I couldn't find ANY source matching an OBD code 23 with that definition -

====================

IF you had an electronic STRUT issue -
you would get the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC -
you don't "bypass" this -
the solution is to wire in a relay to satisfy the module -

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, then. If it's not on a regular DTC list (and what list is it?), and you already know what it means, and where the module is in the trunk, and what the definition is, I wonder what answer you're seeking out of the dozens and dozens of replies you've gotten?
I was seeking what I asked for...does the left actuator error mean a strut, or something else?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
=====================
first let me say that thee are SEVERAL OBD1 - Cadillac - "code 23"
23. IATS ( Intake Air temp sensor ) – Out of range, low resistance
23 . RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault - (ABS)
23 . Driver Initiator Circuit Voltage High (SIR - air bags)
23 . RF Wheel Speed Sensor Continuity Fault - (TCS)
23 . EST Signal problem [EGR] - (PCM)
interesting - there is no code 23 for the RSS suspension system -

code 23-Left front actuator error (does this mean strut?
NO - struts are referred to as DAMPERS -

in fact - where did you get that definition?
I couldn't find ANY source matching an OBD code 23 with that definition -

====================

IF you had an electronic STRUT issue -
you would get the SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC -
you don't "bypass" this -
the solution is to wire in a relay to satisfy the module -
Ok, let’s clear this up, shall we? I got the Code 23 definition from a search...on here...🤷🏼‍♂️🤣

and, I DO have the service ride control message. I have the I039 code which means the ride control system has a fault...thus I jumped the ALDL and counted the blinks. I got 12 3x (normal diagnostic code as you know), 23 3x, 31 3x and then 12 again to let me know it was done. It’s not my fault the information on this system is harder to find than Hillary Clinton’s morals. I’m doing the best I can and trying to get help. I think I’m gonna go video the blinks and y’all tell me what code it is since apparently 23 “doesn’t exist” for the suspension.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

now, y’all tell me again that “code 23 don’t exist for the suspension”. Watch that video and tell me you don’t see it blink 23 and 31. And I’ll tell you you’re blind. Jeez I figured this would be a simple question...but naa, this isn’t my first rodeo boys, I was a mechanic for 20 years. I’m not the typical idiot that barely can put gas in their car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, pretty sure I figured it out myself. There is only one harness and one single plug going to the strut...pretty sure that means the actuator is a part of the strut so it’s time to bypass this bitch! Checked wiring and it was good, oh well!

·
19,867 Posts
SO - as it turns out -
the OP accessed the SUSPENSION MODULE -
and was reading the SPECIFIC - SUSPENSION codes - directly from this module -
and NOT the regular codes you'd get from the ALDL -

this is important information that SHOULD have been included in the first post -
it WOULD have prevented a LOT of confusion -

so - YES - the SUSPENSION code 23 points to failed electronics within the L/F strut -

the SOLUTION to eliminate the constant SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC is to tap into the suspension module and install a relay -

·
19,867 Posts
======================
okay, then. If it's not on a regular DTC list (and what list is it?),
this is a VERY unique procedure ONLY for the 4.9 powered Deville -

you can't get specific SUSPENSION codes through the "normal" procedure of jumping the ALDL -
then counting the flashes on the DASH -

you CAN crawl into the trunk - locate the suspension module - and jumper two terminals in the plug -
this will cause a light within the suspension module to flash the SUSPENSION codes -

these codes ARE different than the "regular" codes you get from the dash -

the "regular" code 23 = Air intake temperature IAT sensor circuit (signal voltage high, low temperature indicated.
the "suspension" code 23 = Left Front strut malfunction -

--------------------

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,161 Posts
Good info, thanks Bass. I'll add that to the limited knowledge I have of OBD1.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
200 Posts
Well, pretty sure I figured it out myself. There is only one harness and one single plug going to the strut...pretty sure that means the actuator is a part of the strut so it’s time to bypass this bitch! Checked wiring and it was good, oh well!
Did you read the part about the 6.6k ohm resistor and the cycling mode of the suspension control module? You might give that a try to possibly unstick the actuator in the strut.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SO - as it turns out -
the OP accessed the SUSPENSION MODULE -
and was reading the SPECIFIC - SUSPENSION codes - directly from this module -
and NOT the regular codes you'd get from the ALDL -

this is important information that SHOULD have been included in the first post -
it WOULD have prevented a LOT of confusion -

so - YES - the SUSPENSION code 23 points to failed electronics within the L/F strut -

the SOLUTION to eliminate the constant SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message on the DIC is to tap into the suspension module and install a relay -
I never once said I got these codes from the SES light on the dash. I made it ABUNDANTLY clear in the subject of this post that they were SUSPENSION codes. Not my fault y’all skimmed my post, that’s on y’all. The info was and is all there. I explained every step I took to avoid this confusion and that’s also why I asked for people knowledgeable with the SUSPENSION system. I put suspension repeatedly in my post. If you or anyone else missed that, it’s on you, not me.

I said I shorted out the ALDL because... THAT’S HOW YOU RETRIEVE CODES FROM THE SUSPENSION MODULE!

Edit, hell, I guess I didn’t make it clear enough, just kinda figured anyone who knew the Speed Sensitive Suspension would surely know the acronym SSS. Also, kinda figured when y’all read the post it would quickly become clear that I was referring to the suspension. Guess I expected too much. My bad.

·
Registered
2014 ELR
200 Posts
How about we all agree this was a simple misunderstanding. No harm, no foul,
Let's all shake hands and feel good the problem is solved.
I'd buy you all a beer if there was a button for that on this site.

And if someone could perma-sticky link or whatever you kids call it these days the info on both reading the suspension codes and the code list so it would be easier for the next person that would be great..

:D

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,107 Posts
Maybe this will help you out, definitely over my head.

·
19,867 Posts
I never once said I got these codes from the SES light on the dash. I made it ABUNDANTLY clear in the subject of this post that they were SUSPENSION codes. Not my fault y’all skimmed my post, that’s on y’all. The info was and is all there. I explained every step I took to avoid this confusion and that’s also why I asked for people knowledgeable with the SUSPENSION system. I put suspension repeatedly in my post. If you or anyone else missed that, it’s on you, not me.

I said I shorted out the ALDL because... THAT’S HOW YOU RETRIEVE CODES FROM THE SUSPENSION MODULE!

Edit, hell, I guess I didn’t make it clear enough, just kinda figured anyone who knew the Speed Sensitive Suspension would surely know the acronym SSS. Also, kinda figured when y’all read the post it would quickly become clear that I was referring to the suspension. Guess I expected too much. My bad.
=====================
I was going to respond - in detail - to your accusations -
BUT - I decided you just aren't worth my time -

enjoy the forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts