Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, you guys have been wicked. (that means good to all ya old farts) :) :) And the old fart comment was meant as a joke. Hence the smilies.

Ok now back on topic.

Even though so many parts are the same from my 85 2.8 to the 93 4.9 there still seem to be some unique things that are just different. Mainly the things that break.

I have only heard of 2 Fiero's in 10 years that "NEEDED" new injectors. However It seems like the 4.9 guys change injectors every 5 years or so.

Now Fiero's on the other hand will go through starters every couple of years and same goes for alternators. As a basic rule of thumb EVERY Fiero owner should be carrying around a spare ignition module. They go out on a semi regular basis.

What parts are the parts that need to be changed or upgraded or kept close eye on in the 4.9's especially the 93 Eldorado 4.9 dual O2 motor.

How often to the starters or alternators go out. I seem to have a 140amp alternator on this car. (kinda chuckling here, my old Fiero was a 68amp, the highest stock Fiero was 94amp)

I just want to know what parts I should stockpile, and keep on hand.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
waterpump .....idler pulleys ....ISC motor

the rest is pretty stout , ive seen rocker arm pivots break everyonce in awhile here on the board ....but in real life not much breaks on them outside the stuff i mentioned ....nothing exotic about the ignition system , its classic GM stuff , no coil packs or obscure crank sensors ....just an ol HEI "stributer"....

your doing the GM coolant suppliment right ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I don't use the Caddy Idler pully anymore so I am safe on that one. Belt routing was changed when the removal of the AC and the Power Steering Pump.

Yep I do have the GM Tabs in there all crushed up. That reminds me I need to put more in. I only put in 3.

How Often does the Ignition Module fail? OR is it a pretty Stout piece.

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
its pretty damned stout , for some reason it doesnt have the issues ive seen in the iron duke and 2.0 pushrod GM engines ....mines original , with 145k on it ....im sure one day itll die but for some reason i dont see alot of module failures in GM v8s

·
Registered
215 Posts
The aforementioned injectors and piston slap in early 4.9's are the only issues I have really seen on them.

Maybe oil pan gasket leaks if they still have the old cork gaskets on them, but most all have been changed to the plastic/silicon gaskets by now.

These engines are remarkably stout otherwise.

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
guidematic