Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand do you guys run for motor oil? I was price shopping today and it looks like 7 quarts of Mobile 1 is going to run me right around $33. OR, I could go with a store brand for around $22. The store brand is Meijer brand and the additives and quality would appear to be the same as the Mobile 1. Is Mobil 1 worth the price difference do you say? Both brand were a full synthetic so that's why I'm wondering if it's really worth it to pay nearly $50 for all the MATERIAL for an oil change VS maybe $30 or so.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
You can use other oils in your CTS but they must meet this requirement:

Both the CTS and CTS-V require SYNTHETIC engine oil... here is what it says in the Owners manual:

·
Registered
2005 CTS
214 Posts
If you want to play safe with your warranty, use an oil that meets the GM4718M specification. This is a GM-only standard that sets minimum performance and durablity requirements for high-temperature application.

Mobil 1 and Penzoil Platinum are 2 oils that I am aware of that meet this spec.

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
I use Redline oil. pricy. it lasts about 7-8 thousand miles before the change oil warning appears. That was the last change. Maybe this time it may last 10000. At least thats what im hopeing for. Fuking GM made it impossible to change the filter between changes on the 3.2 so im stuck having to change my oil when the warning comes on. If you have the 3.6 you could change the oil filter say at 5k and then the oil will last well over 10k. Im not sure if the redline is worth the price. But if i could change the filter thus extending the life it certainly would be worth it.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
I use Redline oil. pricy. it lasts about 7-8 thousand miles before the change oil warning appears. That was the last change. Maybe this time it may last 10000. At least thats what im hopeing for. Fuking GM made it impossible to change the filter between changes on the 3.2 so im stuck having to change my oil when the warning comes on. If you have the 3.6 you could change the oil filter say at 5k and then the oil will last well over 10k. Im not sure if the redline is worth the price. But if i could change the filter thus extending the life it certainly would be worth it.
You're aware that the engile oil life monitor isn't actually reporting the condition of the oil, right?

-GT

·
Registered
Cadillac
55 Posts
lol... You perplexed me there for a minute. Yeah the gage doesn't determine the lubricating qualities of the oil.

I thought it was set for 5k but I haven't had to change my oil yet.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There isn't a sensor that can actually detect what kind of condition the oil is in. The DIC calculates the oil change interval based on driving habits, average engine temperature, etc. In other words, it's an estimation of when the oil will need to be changed based on a whole handful of different factors. ;) An actual sensor that could 'test' the oil to see what condition it is in would be nearly impossible. It takes a lab to do such things. ;)

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD Platinum Ice/2010 CTS Sedan 3.6 AWD Silver
644 Posts
There isn't a sensor that can actually detect what kind of condition the oil is in. The DIC calculates the oil change interval based on driving habits, average engine temperature, etc. In other words, it's an estimation of when the oil will need to be changed based on a whole handful of different factors. ;) An actual sensor that could 'test' the oil to see what condition it is in would be nearly impossible. It takes a lab to do such things. ;)
Well said!

-GT

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,969 Posts
Well said!

-GT
To develope the system, the actual testing was done by a sampling process that compared operating conditions with the tested properties of the oil. The biggest factor of oil life turned out to be the rate of ZDDP(an oil additive) depletion. The operating factors that most affected the depletion were combined in an alogrithm that is used to determine oil life indirectly. Other factors are included but the most weight was given to the additive depletion. The original testing was done with dino oil and later synthetics were validated as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
14 Posts
I have found the best price on Mobil One in our area (Detroit). Walmart gets $19.96 for the 6 quart container. Everyday price, not a sale price. Beats Costco and others in this area by over $5.

Murray's Auto, a local chain sells the AC filter for the CTS @ about $5. The Fram goes for about $10.

Gotta love the guy that placed that filter up top. Easiest filter change I have done in over 30 years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts