Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I have a 2005 3.6 sport luxury. I got an oil change over a month ago and have 1500 miles before I need my next change, however I had to add 2 quarts off oil last week because it was soo low. I also noticed my exhaust tips have black sut on them and I always clean the car.. I made an appointment with Cadillac for August 1. Does anyone have this proble or had it or any thoughts of what it could be???

also the oil is not leaking I checked already. My engine makes a ticking noise when first starts up then it stops but when I lsten to the engine it sounds like there is a slight tick.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
Cadillac
164 Posts
First, clarify the black soot. Take your finger and stick it in the tailpipe, is it a powdery carbon substance, or wet slick oil?

If you are positive that is oil, not black carbon then you might have some worn out seals or rings inside the engine itself. A compression test of the pistons would be the first thing I would do to make sure that is the case. Using thicker engine oil, and some of the over the counter oil additives can help reduce the loss of engine oil if it is blowing by the rings.

The ticking sound is usually mis-identifed from the fuel injectors. If it does it at startup that usually is valve train noise where the oil pressure has not yet reached the furthest ends of the system, and is not necessarily a problem that would cause the engine to use oil.

How many miles do you have on the engine?

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Black Raven
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
27,900 miles on it, it is a powdery dark black almost like someone rubbed charcoal over it or black chalk nad I had to add oil

·
Registered
Cadillac
164 Posts
Unfortunately, General Motors defines acceptable oil usage at 1 quart of oil per 1,000 miles in some references, and 1 quart of oil in 2,000 miles in other references. So any oil usage less than this is considered normal usage, not excessive usage. So if you are going 10K miles on an oil change, they probably will not consider that a problem. But I would talk to them about it.

Since your car is under warranty, the dealer can do Controlled Oil Usage Monitoring. In order to understand and document oil usage, the Dealer will perform an oil usage test. During the test, only the Cadillac Dealer is allowed to add oil to the vehicle. The oil is changed, along with the PCV valve. Then the oil level is measured and recorded under controlled circumstances by the Dealer every 500 miles. The test is continued for 2,000-3,000 miles. This is only conducted on cars still within warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts