Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Kinda long.. please bear with me!! :D

I have a 87 deville..bought new.. just hit 72k original miles..(4.1 v8) I posted a while back and said that the "stop/engine oil" light came on when the car was driven for a while and the car was at a light or stop sign in gear.. once I started getting up to speed, the light went away.. I also added a qt... so for 2 weeks the light didnt come on and then it came back on. Now it seems the light comes on once a week. I also noticed if I add oil, some smoke comes out of the crankcase as well as the dipstick when i check it. Its not like major smoke but kinda like a pot of soup slowly simmering. Is this normal for oil to get this hot and start smoking? I cant recall it ever doing this. I'm not really sure what to do.. theres no slapping of pistons etc so I know i dont think its low on oil cause its been low a couple times and the low tapping sound isnt hard to distinguish. Maybe my oil pump is going out? Maybe uhh my motor is going out?> :crying2: .. It also started idling rough at a stop sign/light..actually just started couple days ago. Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Bobby

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
So when you open the oil filler cap or dispstick there is some vapor coming out.... If its not a lot (like you described) then its COMPLETELY normal!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
elwesso said:
So when you open the oil filler cap or dispstick there is some vapor coming out.... If its not a lot (like you described) then its COMPLETELY normal!!!
well its not a crazy amount.. nothing is boiling or sizzling but there is some steam.. it concerns me cause our 92 v8 van and the 4 cylinders in the family dont do this and I cant recal the caddy doing it..just now.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Well.... Take in mind that this is an old car.....

Just because my car does it doesnt mean its necessarily good...... But I CERTAINLY dont think its ANYTHING to be concerned about.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds to me like you may be experiencing some residual "blow-by". The term BLOW-BY denotes the escape of compression and combustion gases past the pistons and piston rings into the crankcase. All engines have some blow-by. Excessive blow-by is usually found by higher oil consumption. When you add the oil it displaces the gasses that remain in your crankcase and you see it coming out of the dipstick and other places that connect to the crankcase.
Hope this helps.........

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
This Smoke Could Be Steam. Check The Oil Fill Cap Underside. If It Has A Light Brown, Milky Brown Residue I Would Suspect Coolant In The Oil. This Could Also Alter The Oil Pressure Enough To Trigger The Light. . My Personal Experience With This Situation Was A Corroded Intake Manifold Gasket. Rusted Thru At The Crossover Passage At Rear Of Engine. Caught Early Enough, Just The Gaskets Need Replaced, Left Unattended, It Will Wipe Out The Camshaft And Engine Bearings. These Engines Require Coolant Replacement Every Two Years Without Fail And The Addition Of Coolant Pellets( Sealer) At That Time. Not Doing This Will Corrode Intake And Head Gaskets. I Hope I'm Off Base With This Thread. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts