Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you needed a quart of oil and not near a GM dealer, what would you buy?

GM88021596 is recommended but how do you get it from a gas station?

Is it synthetic mixed, or what?

I always like to carry an extra quart of oil when travelling, just a habit. Maybe someone else needs it.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Well been maybe a week since we had a good oil war...
Dino Oil is Dino Oil.... don't waste your money on "dealer" oil.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
^^^Yup. As long as it's the correct viscosity, any brand/type conventional oil will work just as good as the next. If you want to use a blend or synthetic that's up to you, but in no way necessary. There are very few conditions in which an engine spec'd for conventional will benefit at all from synthetic.

Walk up to the oil rack, knock off all of the bottles of the correct viscosity, buy the ones pointing at you. Doesn't have to be any more complicated than that.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
If you needed a quart of oil and not near a GM dealer, what would you buy?

GM88021596 is recommended but how do you get it from a gas station?

Is it synthetic mixed, or what?

I always like to carry an extra quart of oil when travelling, just a habit. Maybe someone else needs it.
-------------------------

the engine was built and designed to use plain-old 5W30 oil -

I personally use Valvoline -

I purchase my oil from Walmart -
in the 5-quart container -

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I've worked for a couple of the big parts chains. We got tired of hearing one person say "you can't mix conventional and synthetic," another person say "it's totally okay to mix them," a third party say "well, that is exactly what synthetic blend oils are," only to have a fourth party say "no, that just means the additives are synthetic, it's totally different from synthetic oil."

So my manager called Valvoline's technical support line. They assured us that synthetic blends are exactly what they sound like, a blend of synthetically modified oils with standard dino oil... or whatever. You can mix as you desire.

Use the right viscosity as stated above, and worry about which wax you should buy or something else. You'll be just fine.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
Yes, mixing synthetic and conventional oils is OK. Every major oil brand will have this posted on their website. However, it's not always a good idea to mix brands. The reasoning is that different brands might​ use different additive packages that may not be compatible.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Yes, mixing synthetic and conventional oils is OK. Every major oil brand will have this posted on their website. However, it's not always a good idea to mix brands. The reasoning is that different brands might​ use different additive packages that may not be compatible.
==========================
However, it's not always a good idea to mix brands.
another MYTH -
oil is oil -

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,189 Posts
Open stopper on motor, dump in oil and go.

----------

Now to change the oil in the Jet Skis, you gotta know I'm using Yamalube.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,507 Posts
For a 2005 Deville oil standby bottle in the trunk use the oily, slippery kind of 5W-30 and don't overfill the engine. The middle of the hashmark on the dipstick is the area desired by GM/Cadillac.

"Synthetic blend" oils ................. just what IS the percentage of conventional to synthetic that makes a "blend" ? 99:1 is legally a blend; so is 50:50.

Posted a skrillion times - "Oil is like whiskey, women and guns; Everyone has their own preferences and no one else can change their mind".

from 1951 .................... and now any car on the road can easily go 10,000 miles or one year between oil/filter changes.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts