Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mcowden said:
On what year and model car?
94 Eldorado. Parked car went to work. 8 hours later start er up and display says STOP ENGINE low oil presure. No leaks. The oil pump just went. The warenty co. has to "inspect" the car before paying. They pay for laber only up to $55 per hr. The dealer is $90 per hr. I guess they think I've got a kia.:banghead:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I would suspect the oil pressure switch, just above the filter, before the pump.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
i agree with ranger. Dont rule out the switch. Its pretty cheep and alot easier to replace as opposed to the the pump.

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Agreed. It would be very unusual for an oil pump to just quit on a Northstar. I've been here for 2.5 years and I've never heard of a loss of oil pressure problem that turned out to be a bad oil pump. The pressure switch would be my first suspect. It's located above the oil filter adapter and won't cost anything near $800 to replace.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The dealer said it was the pump. And they never saw one die before either. I don't trust dealers though.The warrenty co. is supposed to "inspect" the car before they ok the work on monday. I think I'll try to be there to ask some questions.:bonkers:

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
DGUT said:
The dealer said it was the pump. And they never saw one die before either. I don't trust dealers though.The warrenty co. is supposed to "inspect" the car before they ok the work on monday. I think I'll try to be there to ask some questions.:bonkers:
If you go in there, make sure you tell them to check the torque on the harmonic balancer bolt. The oil pump is only driven by friction, not a gear. If the bolt is loose, there might not be enough friction to run the pump sufficiently to develop the pressure needed. When that's done, they should also try overfilling the oil sump with another or 8 quarts of oil on top of the 7.5 that's already in it (yes, 14-15 quarts of oil in the sump) and start the engine and let it idle briefly. That will ensure the pump is primed. It seems very, very unlikely that the pump would go bad suddenly and without warning like that. If you're going to wind up paying for part of the repair, you ought to be in there making sure they've made the correct diagnosis. I'm curious what ewill3rd thinks about this...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts