Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys ,
I got a general question about an oil pump for a chevy small block motor.
My dad's van had lost all of its oil a couple weeks ago and he brought it to a mechanic who told him that the oil pump is making too much pressure and caused the oil filter o ring to blow out causing all the oil to leak. and that he would need a new oil pump installed. I said "what did he say"? how does a mechanical oil pump miraculously make more oil pressure at 170k miles, enough to blow out the oil filter o ring? If anything i told my dad, it sounds like you may have a plugged up oil galley causing a backup of the oil causing more pressure. I did notice some ticking of the lifters just before it happened. my had heard it also. Possibly because no oil was getting up there because of either low oil level or a blocked galley but maybe because she is just plain old and tired. What would you fellas have to say about that before this mechanic dips his hand in my dads pocket. :hmm:Thanks for your input. Sorry off the V topic.
Mike

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
Are you sure they didnt accidently Double Gasket the filter when they put it on from an oil change? SOMETIMES, the filter you pull off leaves the o ring on the block and the oil change place dont notice it as they are in a hurry and just screw the new filter on which has one also. Then at any time it could just pop out of place and start leaking. Ive seen that 2 times in my car days....

So make sure that isnt the cause..

As for oil pressure being too high from a pump. That sounds like a full of crap statement to me. We have race cars with 80psi with no issues like that. The only issues most people have with those kind of pumps would be that the pump sucks the pan dry and gets air. As it pumps the oil all to the motor and runs out before it can drain back down. Which a bigger capacity oil pan and windage tray is the fix for that....

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jesse. Sounded like a load to me too. yes that was the case once before he said. I've almost done that myself not watching what the hell i was doing. We are going to get the van back and run it with a cleaning additive to maybe see if there were any blockages. Well that's about all you can do. We'll just keep an eye on it. Thanks Again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts