Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my "new"ly purchased 2002 STS. Now maybe I am a bit old school, but with all of the bells and whistles, why was an oil pressure guage not included in the instrument cluster? Am I missing something here. I have everything at my fingertips including outside temperature, percent trans oil life, est. miles to empty, all of which I would trade for an oil pressure guage. Is anyone else on the same page with me here, or am I just a dinosaur?:confused:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What was your last car? In my experience very few cars built after 1995 came with oil pressure gauges..(Domestics or Imports).

I'm with you I would rather have the gauge than not... But I would bet the reason it was dropped is:
1) Oiling problems on all "modern" GM motors are almost non-existent.
2) North*s have an oil level sensor and will warn if its a couple of quarts low
3) OLM, if followed all but eliminates sludge and other oil related problems...
4) Dash space is precious and most auto mags are really quick to complain about clutter, and ergonomics issues....

Trust me you won't need it and you won't miss it... Our dashes look awesome!

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Ur7x said:
What was your last car? In my experience very few cars built after 1995 came with oil pressure gauges..(Domestics or Imports).

I'm with you I would rather have the gauge than not... But I would bet the reason it was dropped is:
1) Oiling problems on all "modern" GM motors are almost non-existent.
2) North*s have an oil level sensor and will warn if its a couple of quarts low
3) OLM, if followed all but eliminates sludge and other oil related problems...
4) Dash space is precious and most auto mags are really quick to complain about clutter, and ergonomics issues....

Trust me you won't need it and you won't miss it... Our dashes look awesome!
Amen to all of this and one more thing: There is an oil pressure sensor, so if the pressure drops too low, you'll still get a light. Just no gauge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
My last vehicles were 2000 Bonneville with op guage and 2001 tundra with op guage. I agree the dash looks great. I would rather have an oil pressue guage than a speedometer. I grew up driving a Corvette and various others. If they didn't have an op guage, I installed one. I like keeping an eye on the pulse of the engine under various load conditions. And Quite frankly, if you can't tell how fast you are going without a speedometer, hang up your keys, unless it's an ego thing. It is just my preference, any high performance vehicle should have an oil pressure guage, even if just for us throwbacks, JMO.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Every vehicle that I have owned, that had a factory oil pressure gauge, had an "idiot" gauge. They are not real world gauges. Ever notice, that the needle doesn't move, if you rev the engine? If you ever had the pleasure of having a mechanical oil gauge, you will know, that oil pressure, changes with RPM. So, the factory gauges are no better, or worse, than an idiot light. They work off the same premise, and neither gives any better or worse info. The light takes up much less dash space.

Don

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Corvette had a mechanical Oil pressure gauge 1968. And all of the vehicles I have owned from Jeeps to the most recent 00 Pontiac and 01 Tundra certainly moved when rpm's changed and also moved under different load conditions including temp changes. If yours doesn't move it could be part of the dampening mechinism within the gauge itself, more dampening reduces flutter, i.e. oil filled or nitrogen filled gauges move less while still giving accurate readings, so if you notice little or no movement this could quite possibly be a high end gauge. Idiot lights usually only come on after it is too late. If the gauge is of reasonable quality (Even my 88 Jeep used VDO gauges) you would notice a change in pressure at varying conditions. Like I said, I have a personal preference for oil pressure gauges and I certainly wouldn't give up my STS for lack of one. I just think that such a highly refined and true thinking machine as the STS should have a way for the driver to monitor the oil pressure. As far as idiot lights, (hence the name), in my experience most of the sending units for these were always of cheaper quality and reduced sensitivity, after all these were almost always used to reduce manufacturing costs and in some cases as a back-up for or I have even seen them incorporated in addition to the gauge itself. It is a personal comfort level for me. If the DIC can monitor volts, outside temp, phone on/off, and countless other functions, some very useful and some for added gingerbread, why not Oil Pressure?! I would rather have too much info at my fingertips than not enough. Yes I know there are several fail safes built in to monitor oil pressure and lack of, the N* also has a "camel mode" for coolant loss, but it has a coolant temp gauge also. I'll call 'On Star" and possibly they can monitor oil pressure, I am sure the N* has to have an OP sending unit, just not for the drivers use, and this unfortunate and confusing at least for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
Boombottz