Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 01 deville that I've been tinkering with and just dropped a new motor in and the other day while letting it warm up in the 12 degree weather and once the car got to temp the display reads " oil pressure low. Stop engine"
I'm at a loss as I have just filled her up with royal purple not even 10 miles ago and she already reads "add" on the dipstick
Any insight?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,404 Posts
The engine takes 7.5 quarts of 5W-30 from dry. Royal Purple is nice oil - but in no way necessary or needed. Oil leaks ? Filter OK ? Filter adapter OK ?

Proper oil level is at the middle of the hashmark - <== ADD XXXXXXXXXX <-- OPERATING RANGE ======//====O

Sometimes the oil pressure sending switch gives up - a new AC Delco unit should fix the problem - UNLESS your "new" (used ?) engine was faulty in the first place.

Even if the temp gauge said normal after an idling warmup the oil was still stone cold, so "thin" oil was not the problem.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New k&n oil filter, every gasket and seal on the new (used) motor was replaced no expense was spared, and as far as I know, no leaks. And I put 7 in if I remember correctly, I didn't have enough $ for the last qt

----------

Where is the sending unit located?

----------

Also, it's not driven as there are a few odds and ends it needs before I am comfortable putting some miles on her. But I have driven her about 10 miles since the new motor was put in and have run it every other day since and it JUST started out if nowhere

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
Should saved that money you spent on a k&n filtet which will flow less air than the stock filter and got ya some more oil. But then it's also a waste to buy royal purple oil. But enjoy

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,250 Posts
New k&n oil filter, every gasket and seal on the new (used) motor was replaced no expense was spared, and as far as I know, no leaks. And I put 7 in if I remember correctly, I didn't have enough $ for the last qt

----------

Where is the sending unit located?

----------

Also, it's not driven as there are a few odds and ends it needs before I am comfortable putting some miles on her. But I have driven her about 10 miles since the new motor was put in and have run it every other day since and it JUST started out if nowhere
========================

New k&n oil filter
overpriced -
save your money and get a BETTER filter -
go with a WIX or ACDelco filter -

I have just filled her up with royal purple-
I put 7 in if I remember correctly, I didn't have enough $ for the last qt

just like the designer filter -
very pretty color - but way overpriced -
and very little - if any - benefit -
save your money and stick with regular 5W30 oil -

the display reads " oil pressure low. Stop engine"
three possibilities come to mind -

the used motor IS worn out -
and can't develop proper oil pressure -

the crankshaft pulley had been removed -
and the mounting bolt was not properly tightened -
resulting in low oil pressure -

defective oil pressure switch -
it is located next to the oil filter -

I have driven her about 10 miles since the new motor was put in
and have run it every other day since

running the engine for a few - even several minutes every other day -
is far worse for the engine than just leaving it sit -

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it all on sale, figured it may help, I haven't really used it before. Sounds to me like I have some digging to do. I may just send it to a shop, I've done so much to make this vehicle work i just want to drive it. I'll look into the sensors before I do anything else however. I also noticed that if you accelerate it goes away..

----------

Switch* not sensor. Been a long day

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
every gasket and seal on the new (used) motor was replaced
Based on this statement the crankshaft pulley had to be removed. So I suspect it was not tighten properly when re-installed. IIRC it's 37 ft lbs then 120 degrees. Think very tight. The torque on the pulley bolt is what drives the oil pump. Too loose and the oil pressure will not be enough at idle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts