Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Question for a 4.6L 96' Deville (its posted here for more responses): After driving 30 minutes (every thing is at normal temp) the oil pressure light flashes but when given gas and it goes into higher RPMs the flashing goes away. But when its at idle or stopped it flashes. The car would say the oil is low which Jay put more oil in to see if it would go away but it did not. It everntually said the car needed to be shut down. Any ideas or solutions?

Jay will be on in a couple minutes to explain the situation in more depth than me...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
It is definetely not an oil quantity problem. Either the pump is failing (not very likely) or you have a bad pressure switch (most likely).

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
ok so its nothing major right?
i mean the car runs 100% its just when brought up to temp the oil pressure light starts to flash when the car is at a stop and at idle
As soon as you give it gas the lamp goes away and everythings fine
on the way to work today she actually lit up shut engine off low oil pressure and it scared the crap outta me...
no leaks
oil level is good
oil was JUST changed
no noises

any idea on how much one would cost i just tried to search gmpartsdirect and couldnt even find it...

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
please dont let anything be major *crosses fingers*

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
woohoo betsey can still be kicking!

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
My STS does the same thing, but no shut engine light. It has done it for months now. I sometimes see the "Check Oil Level" message, but it's fine. I posted about it and it has to be the switch. I am leaving it alone for now. Don't want to take it in anytime soon.

You have any dripage?

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
no
it was seeping through the oil switch which is also why i assumed it to be that
i replaced it today and it came back
my mom really cant get a new car right now, and we just put 500 into it (i last week replaced the a/c compressor and the evap core) so fixing it is what im gonna do, i just dont know what to fix yet...

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
The only thing to do is install a mechanical oil pressure gage and verify that the oil pressure is indeed low.
There are outside forces that could be at work, but if the oil pressure is low then other bad things can happen.
If it is low a teardown will be your only option to see where the oil pressure is bleeding off.
Could be anything from a small seal to worn out bearings.
Not worth taking a chance on.

As oil gets hotter it flows better and if there is a leak inside the engine it will leak more when it gets hotter.
Oil pressure normally falls off at idle, particularly when hot so it is the time when you will see the light if anything is wrong or if the gage sender goes bad.
If you replaced it, as I said you need to connect a mechanical gage, run it until it is warm, then check it against specifications.
Not really good news I guess.

·
Registered
Hyundai Elantra
18,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
would adding a heavyer weight such as 10w 40 help?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
It might, but you really should find out for sure if it is a switch (indication problem) or a REAL oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Not to jack this thread, :jerkit: but how would I determine whether or not my ordeal is the switch? I could replace it, but what's the part number (or is it universal/Auto Zone pick-up) and what are the steps? I'll also search the Tech section and see if there's anything...

Maybe I should practice on my bro's Ford first. lol

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
No, it is not universal. Stick with an A/C Delco switch. If the aftermarket is calibrated too low you'll have the same problem.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
the one i installed is not an a/c delco but it has the exact problem as before and the lamp came on at the same time it did the 1st time on the way home....
do you really think the switch is still bad, should i try another
right now my dad and i started looking for a car, it would be REALLY tough to afford one right now but if we must we gotta ditch this car before she blows....

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
You can usually pick up an oil pressure gage for pretty cheap, probably cheaper than having someone check it for you.
It is the same procedure as changing the sensor and it elminates all doubt.
If the oil pressure is dropping too low it shouldn't be driven.
Using heavier oil might mask the problem but in the end it will just do more damage.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
well today i drained the oil
the stuff looked like WATER
10w30...
my mom always had me dump cheep walmart oil in it and i guess if finally got the better of her...
it had 90% life left
anywho i changed it to 20w50 (for now) with a bottle of lucas and no lights at all...
im gonna run 10w 40 after this in it should it be ok? im betting it was the oil broke down because it really was like water...

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,005 Posts
I have used 10W30 Walmart SuperTech oil for years. Nothing wrong with it and it did not cause any harm to your mothers car.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
same with her
shes used it forever
but im telling you ive done the oil changes on these cars for YEARS
and the stuff that came out was like water compared to what it usually looks like when drained...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts