Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1973 sedan deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just changed the rear main seal, oil pan and valve cover gaskets. now when idleing at stop lights the oil light comes on. i just give it some gas to keep up the rpms no more light. I did leave off the gasket on the oil sump tube could this be the problem or idle is set to low. also just installed headers and dual exhaust system at same time, headers are a pain in the ass. any help thanks

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
If your engine has a lot of miles on it, the oil pump may be worn enough to be on the edge of the pressure to put the light out. Like you say though, a low idle speed will likely turn it on also. The oil pump is easy enough to change, since it's on the front/right side of the block.
If you do change the pump, be sure to pack it with Vaseline petroleum jelly around the pump gears, so it will prime itself promptly when the engine is started.
The aftermarket performance place, cad500parts.com has modified oil pumps for more efficient flow etc.

What did you mean by "oil sump tube" ?? Was it the pickup tube for the oil pump? If you left the seal off that, it may be sucking air there a bit, which could also be your problem. (?)

BILL

·
Registered
1973 sedan deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup the oil pick up tube from the oil pump. I really don't want to take the oil pan out again. I'll try idle speed. then oil pump first. thanks for the vasaline tip.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,533 Posts
The oil pick up tube has to have a O ring to seal it.. If you left the O ring off it will suck air and distroy your motor , even if the oil light is off..

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Yeah, there is a point there, because even air (mixed with the oil, and not good) may build pressure to turn the light off. Hard to really say for sure........

You may have to bite the bullet and buy another pan gasket set and go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts