Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cadillac Escalade ESV Platinum
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was around a quarter of a mile from home when she started hearing knocking from the engine bay (2012 ESV). She got home and I took a look - I found that the oil pressure was 6 PSI at hot idle. I checked the oil level and it was at the full line.

I replaced the radiator last week - I had checked the oil pressure following the install and it was reading around 38-40 cold. Can a bad o-ring drop to that low of oil pressure so quickly, or is does my issue sound related to the oil pump or worse, like a bearing?

Also, any general thoughts on possible damage? The knock isn't consistent - it comes and goes, and it was not driven far. I'm wondering if it is the o-ring for the pickup tube, if I can just install a new o-ring to resolve the knocking or will that require further investigation?

·
Registered
2007 ESV
245 Posts
A bad O-ring can indeed cause that much pressure loss when the oil is hot. Since replacement of the O-ring requires dropping the oil pan, you could change the rod bearings as insurance (and to inspect them, but they are cheap enough to just go ahead and replace if you are in there anyway).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Update: I let it sit overnight and started it this morning with a cold motor. Oil pressure was showing 38-40 PSI on idle. I revved it up to around 2500 RPM, and let the RPMs come down. As soon as the idle returned to normal, the oil pressure was at 32, and I watched it drop to 24 in around 20 seconds, all with a still relatively cold motor.

I'm not hearing the knocking so I'm assuming it's the o-ring on the pickup tube as I suspected originally, and that I'm hopefully in the clear as far as major damage (I'm guessing there might have been added wear when it did knock).

Would anyone agree or disagree (and/or would anyone still suspect the oil pump)?

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham Coupe, 1999 ETC, 2012 ESV Premium
188 Posts
Face the truck downhill facing forward, like a steep driveway, if oil pressure improve a good deal then it's the o-ring, if not, then something else is happening.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
239 Posts
Face the truck downhill facing forward, like a steep driveway, if oil pressure improve a good deal then it's the o-ring, if not, then something else is happening.
I like this work around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Faced it downhill with no change - oil pressure would still drop and the knocking came back.

With the holidays, I decided to take it to a shop instead of going down the rabbit hole. The shop changed the oil to a thicker weight just to see what would happen. It ran fine around the block, but the oil pressure started dropping after the let it sit and start up, again. They dropped the oil pan and found some metal - no chunks, and the pickup tube screen was clear.

It was either the pump, which seemed unlikely, or there was a clog elsewhere. Since I've already had lifter issues in the past with a possibly damaged cam, plus any other damage from the oil starvation with this issue, I'm having the shop remove the motor and drop in a crate motor. It's about the same cost of a full rebuild and rather put the money towards that than gambling on the oil pump, which doesn't sound like the cause.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts