Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What percentage of oil life left do you change your oil at? Dealer recommends 20%.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,800 Posts
I use what I consider to be prudent and beneficial and higher than 20% - as long as its below 50% and its the time of the year (summer/winter) when engine takes the most stress. I also buy my own Mobil1 5W-30 and provide it to dealer. Service warranty does not matter as this cost is minimal and the most important action an owner can perform. GM also recommends adding GM Fuel System Treatment Plus with each oil change. You can get it at dealer or Amazon.Its the onlu fuel additive GM recommends.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use what I consider to be prudent and beneficial and higher than 20% - as long as its below 50% and its the time of the year (summer/winter) when engine takes the most stress. I also buy my own Mobil1 5W-30 and provide it to dealer. Service warranty does not matter as this cost is minimal and the most important action an owner can perform. GM also recommends adding GM Fuel System Treatment Plus with each oil change. You can get it at dealer or Amazon.Its the onlu fuel additive GM recommends.
The manual seems contradictory in what is says about the fuel additive. First it says to add it if your Country does not have top tier gas, then it says that top tier and the additive will keep the engine running good. Since there is no coma between the top tier and the additive - it reads as 'use both' to me, yet the first statement was only use the additive if your country does not have top tier...maybe I'm over thinking what they wrote, lol. Since I live in Canada, we have top tier gas.

If your country does not have
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, add
ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus
−Gasoline to the vehicle’s gasoline fuel
tank at every oil change or 15,000 km
(9,000 mi), whichever occurs first. TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline and ACDelco
Fuel System Treatment Plus−Gasoline
will help keep your vehicle’s engine
fuel deposit free and performing
optimally.

Back to oil life, 20-25% would seem alright to me even in winter - maybe.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
Chevron TECHRON under several proprietary names is a component of a TopTier gasoline. If you use straight TECHRON it is not recommended any more frequently than 5,000 miles. It's a strong fuel system cleaner (as is Ethanol). GM's reference to "additives" takes into account the components of a TopTier fuel - including the Ethanol content (it IS an additive........).

The old GM Fuel Additive WAS Chevron TECHRON packaged for GM. Not sure who contract-sources it now.

The OLM has a huge safety factor built into the algorithm for each engine/powertrain. Perfectly safe to run it to <10% or a year, whichever occurs first.

Because my STS is a garage queen and I do annual oil/filter changes I seldom see over 2,500 miles on the oil. The Explorer is the gofer so we do oil/filter at less than 10% or annually.

Read the OLM article in this link - written by one of the GM engineers who developed the early OLM algorithms. The latest OLM settings are so much more sophisticated that it isn't even funny ............. The rest was written by a CF member who was a powertrain engineer for the GM/Northstar system and applies mainly to the pre-2000 Northstar but contains info good for all drivers.

FWIW, The OLM uses, in addition to a slew of other inputs - coolant temp, engine rpm, vehicle speed, ambient temp, time, engine load, acceleration rate, mileage, yada,yada, yada. It's pretty sophisticated.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chevron TECHRON under several proprietary names is a component of a TopTier gasoline. If you use straight TECHRON it is not recommended any more frequently than 5,000 miles. It's a strong fuel system cleaner (as is Ethanol). GM's reference to "additives" takes into account the components of a TopTier fuel - including the Ethanol content (it IS an additive........).

The old GM Fuel Additive WAS Chevron TECHRON packaged for GM. Not sure who contract-sources it now.

The OLM has a huge safety factor built into the algorithm for each engine/powertrain. Perfectly safe to run it to <10% or a year, whichever occurs first.

Because my STS is a garage queen and I do annual oil/filter changes I seldom see over 2,500 miles on the oil. The Explorer is the gofer so we do oil/filter at less than 10% or annually.

Read the OLM article in this link - written by one of the GM engineers who developed the early OLM algorithms. The latest OLM settings are so much more sophisticated that it isn't even funny ............. The rest was written by a CF member who was a powertrain engineer for the GM/Northstar system and applies mainly to the pre-2000 Northstar but contains info good for all drivers.

Thanks Sub. Since our fuel here is at least 10% ethanol plus top tier I guess there would be no need for the ACDelco fuel additive.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do I, but in this case there is no designated amount of oil life percentage given. It was the Dealer who recommended 20% for Cadillac's.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
........... and I think the owner's manual advises using the OLM - or maybe annually, whichever occurs first.

I'm currently using Valero gasolines - TopTier - and I DO use TECHRON in the yard equipment engines - on top of the TopTier fuels - due to the outdoor storage conditions. Nary a problem in the ol' Briggs & Strattons.

The station is a high-volume "Shore Stop" chain and judging from the tanker dumping frequency I'd bet the fuel I pump hasn't been in the ground for 4 days. All bets on fuel "freshness" are off if you pump gas from some little station in Whistling Chicken, Wyoming.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right, OLM or once a year if not driven much.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
208 Posts
So do I, but in this case there is no designated amount of oil life percentage given. It was the Dealer who recommended 20% for Cadillac's.
I'm not sure what you mean about no designated amount of oil life percentage given. The recommendation on page 243 of my owner's manual states:
When the system has calculated that
oil life has been diminished, it
indicates that an oil change is
necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL
SOON message comes on. Change the
oil as soon as possible within the next
1 000 km (600 mi). It is possible that,
if driving under the best conditions,
the oil life system might indicate that
an oil change is not necessary for up
to a year. The engine oil and filter
must be changed at least once a year
and at this time the system must be
reset.

I take this to mean that the Change Oil Soon message comes on at 0% remaining oil life (although I have not seen it because I have to change at one year due to not driving enough). At that point, you are supposed to change oil within the next 600 miles. Just because the OLM says 0% doesn't mean that your oil is toast all of a sudden and your engine will lock up if you drive it one more mile. The OLM is engineered to be conservative, so if you just follow the recommendation in the owner's manual, you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No actual percentage is given, but one can infer it might be zero percent. I would not recommend going more than the 600 miles past the notification to change the oil. Doing so could run into warranty issues. I know I won't let it get to zero percent. An oil change is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum plus
159 Posts
I don't pay attention to the percentage. I change at about 3,800 miles

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had my car to the Dealer the other day for the free tire rotation and what they call a 'health check', no oil change, just the rotation and they automatically do the check. Well my oil was at 41% when I brought it in and at 98% when I checked it a number of days (and driving) later. So now I will be taking it in for an oil change at 79% which will really be 20%. I have a call into the asst. service mgr for an explanation, but it's a long weekend here and he took Friday off, and Monday is the holiday.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
576 Posts
. . . Well my oil was at 41% when I brought it in and at 98% when I checked it a number of days (and driving) later. . .
Even though not requested, I would suspect an oil change. I typically change the oil at 20% or annually, which is around 8k or so. As far as an additive, I may add TECHRON, every now and then. Also, I used Ethenol free gas, when I can. It typically cost about $1 more per gallon. Yet, I think it burns cleaner, meaning less buildup.

I found that untreated Ethenol gas in small engines seems to tarnish the carburator, making the engine hard to start. Since using gas treatment, the small engine (lawn mower or power washer) starts fine. So, I suspect Ethenol gas may have some impact on all engines. If not, why sell Ethenol free gas? I use Ethenol free gas in my chainsaw, and it starts fine, year after year. So, I figure it cannot be too bad for vehicles.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Even though not requested, I would suspect an oil change. I typically change the oil at 20% or annually, which is around 8k or so. As far as an additive, I may add TECHRON, every now and then. Also, I used Ethenol free gas, when I can. It typically cost about $1 more per gallon. Yet, I think it burns cleaner, meaning less buildup.

I found that untreated Ethenol gas in small engines seems to tarnish the carburator, making the engine hard to start. Since using gas treatment, the small engine (lawn mower or power washer) starts fine. So, I suspect Ethenol gas may have some impact on all engines. If not, why sell Ethenol free gas? I use Ethenol free gas in my chainsaw, and it starts fine, year after year. So, I figure it cannot be too bad for vehicles.
I looked at the dipstick - an oil change was not done as the oil looks the same as when I brought it in.

It is my understanding that gas with ethanol in it burns cleaner resulting in engines having less carbon. I add a gas conditioner to every small engine I have ie. lawnmower and snowblower, and ime that gas will last for at least two years (longest I've gone before I use it up from the jerrycan) with no impact on the engine or starting it. My lawnmower is 15 years old with the same spark plug in it :oops:

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury
576 Posts
I looked at the dipstick - an oil change was not done as the oil looks the same as when I brought it in.

It is my understanding that gas with ethanol in it burns cleaner resulting in engines having less carbon. I add a gas conditioner to every small engine I have ie. lawnmower and snowblower, and ime that gas will last for at least two years (longest I've gone before I use it up from the jerrycan) with no impact on the engine or starting it. My lawnmower is 15 years old with the same spark plug in it :oops:
I wondered about the dip stick. I agree; the additive does help. I had my lawnmower and power washer serviced (a few times) because of tarnishing. Once I learned about using fuel stabilizer (should have followed the owner's manual), I have not had an issue since, going on 12 years. I typically change spark plugs every other year or so. But as the saying goes, "if it is not broken, don't fix it." So if 15 years work for you, why stop now.

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum plus
159 Posts
I use store and start for ethanol at the end of the year. I put it in before I use it (mowers) the last time and then unhook the gas line and run the carburetor dry before putting them away for the winter. Run 10% ethanol all year in every thing. I ran ethanol free in my 1969 GTO when I had it.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,800 Posts
The manual seems contradictory in what is says about the fuel additive. First it says to add it if your Country does not have top tier gas, then it says that top tier and the additive will keep the engine running good. Since there is no coma between the top tier and the additive - it reads as 'use both' to me, yet the first statement was only use the additive if your country does not have top tier...maybe I'm over thinking what they wrote, lol. Since I live in Canada, we have top tier gas.

If your country does not have
TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, add
ACDelco Fuel System Treatment Plus
−Gasoline to the vehicle’s gasoline fuel
tank at every oil change or 15,000 km
(9,000 mi), whichever occurs first. TOP
TIER Detergent Gasoline and ACDelco
Fuel System Treatment Plus−Gasoline
will help keep your vehicle’s engine
fuel deposit free and performing
optimally.

Back to oil life, 20-25% would seem alright to me even in winter - maybe.
I read the recommendation for the GM Fuel Treatment in a TSB.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts