Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to bypass a big bill at the auto repair garage by changing my oil pan gasket myself. It leaves a little puddle of oil every time I drive it. I tried removing it by myself and followed the procedure in the repair manual. After I removed the bolts from the pan, I noticed that the pan would'nt come off. I then tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, and still nothing. There is hardly any room to pry it off. It is sealed on there pretty tight.

Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions to get that thing off of there?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 1990 Deville and I changed my oil pan gasket myself. I had the same problem it would not budge with the bolts off. I had to put some force on it by prying it off a 2 foot bar I had lying around. Hitting it with a hammer will not work. You need to put some horizontal force on it. Once the seal is broken, do not put a screw driver inbetween the pan and engine, this could cause scratches which later allow oil to pass the new gasket.

Once you break the seal there is very little room to remove the pan, you have to do the best you can in trying to get it out. But that is a whole different problem.

Good Luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts