Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001 deville in mint condition. 2018 XT5 2018 370Z 2014 E350
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
2 are easy to get to the 3rd it would be a trick to get at. I would have to drop the exhaust to really reach it. Hopefully what I did will hold.

·
Registered
'06 DTS Lux II,
35 Posts
Has anyone had to replace the oil pan gasket on a 2001 Deville? The dealer wants over $3,000 to replace the gasket. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get it done in northwest Illinois? Any help would be appreciated.
The O ring is not what leaks! The bolt holes are drilled through. Remove two bolts at a time, use brake cleaner and air dry, apply black silicone sealant and tighten to 14 foot-pounds. The job is done! Good luck!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The O ring is not what leaks! The bolt holes are drilled through. Remove two bolts at a time, use brake cleaner and air dry, apply black silicone sealant and tighten to 14 foot-pounds. The job is done! Good luck!
Thanks. So far after spraying the clear stuff on outside I have not seen any oil leak. If it lasts I will leave it. If not I will try what you suggested. I also bought and under belly cover that I will put over the oil pan when it gets warmer out. I have to modify it a little but I think that will work to catch minor oil drip if they occur.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,074 Posts
Be careful with an underbelly drip pan - the engine MUST have sufficient open space under/around the oil pan/transmission to allow cooling air to circulate - all the air that goes in through the A/C condenser/radiator drops down and out past the lower part of the engine. Block that and you get radical oil overheat problems.

The body already has a front section lower air dam that forces most of the air through the radiator. That needs to be in place, too.

Better to put old carpet samples or cardboard on the garage floor.

Don't discount an oil leak at the oil filter adapter or oil pressure sending unit. Common.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Be careful with an underbelly drip pan - the engine MUST have sufficient open space under/around the oil pan/transmission to allow cooling air to circulate - all the air that goes in through the A/C condenser/radiator drops down and out past the lower part of the engine. Block that and you get radical oil overheat problems.

The body already has a front section lower air dam that forces most of the air through the radiator. That needs to be in place, too.

Better to put old carpet samples or cardboard on the garage floor.

Don't discount an oil leak at the oil filter adapter or oil pressure sending unit. Common.
will keep that in mind if I wind up doing it. So far it looks like I will not need to do it. The outside spray seal I used seems to be working and tightening of the nuts may have helped. Thanks for the info tho.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts