Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 deville in mint condition. 2018 XT5 2018 370Z 2014 E350
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to replace the oil pan gasket on a 2001 Deville? The dealer wants over $3,000 to replace the gasket. Does anyone know of a cheaper place to get it done in northwest Illinois? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,179 Posts
Talk to Joe Blau at Midwest Cadillac in Palatine. IL.

It's an unholy bitch of a job - not a gasket in the traditonal sense - a formed silicone seal ring in a groove in the oil pan rails. The new GM procedure is a measured bead of GM RTV Gray in the groove.

oil pan 7 quarts.jpg

·
Registered
98 Concours
156 Posts
I had mine done on my 98 by a local shop (mechanic use to work at cadillac), he told me he could skip the rear main seal and just do the pan gasket (and 1/2 case gasket) for around $1200 which he did, that being said he really couldn't guarantee all the leaks would be fixed but said they would be greatly reduced. He explained he could do some short cuts this way and not have to pull the motor. Anyway it worked well for me and no more drips on the ground.

Edit Note: I can't remember now but the more I think about it I don't think he did the 1/2 case, just the oil pan. I

Good luck

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
I don't know about your area, but a local shop, not the dealer, here in Boston did mine for 1300. The transmission has to come out to do the job, the dealer is probably going to drop the whole cradle assembly with the engine still attached, thats were the labor cost is. When they did mine they suspended the engine from the top and took the cradle and transmission out. They also changed the rear main seal and crossover gaskets while it was apart. Check a couple mom and pop shops for quotes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
will have car up in air tomorrow and will see where it is actually leaking from

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,179 Posts
To get a really good look at the left (front, radiator) side of the engine - oil filter adapter, oil pressure sending switch, halfcase seam - you'll need to drop the lower air deflector panel. Pry out the retainer rivets center pin, the rivet collapses, out comes the rivet. 10 or 11 of them. Spares on the HELP! racks at parts stores or at a Fastenal.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
Joe in Palatine,IL did my 2003 DHS -

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks like oil is coming from front and rear from oil pan. Decided to clean off and buy spray for outside of oil pan and buying an addative to put into oil to seal things. I have never done this to a car before but I do not want to put more money into the car. Will let forum know how it went after driving it for a while with what I am going to do.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
looks like oil is coming from front and rear from oil pan. Decided to clean off and buy spray for outside of oil pan and buying an addative to put into oil to seal things. I have never done this to a car before but I do not want to put more money into the car. Will let forum know how it went after driving it for a while with what I am going to do.
=========================
NOT a good idea -
the oil pan seal is silicone - which is NOT affected by oil-leak products that break down and swell rubber -
whereas the front and rear main seals ARE rubber -
IF leaking - those MIGHT slow down or even stop - for a little while -
then they WILL leak much MUCH worse -

as for stopping an oil leak from the outside with some MAGIC SPRAY -
ya - well - good luck

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
=========================
NOT a good idea -
the oil pan seal is silicone - which is NOT affected by oil-leak products that break down and swell rubber -
whereas the front and rear main seals ARE rubber -
IF leaking - those MIGHT slow down or even stop - for a little while -
then they WILL leak much MUCH worse -

as for stopping an oil leak from the outside with some MAGIC SPRAY -
ya - well - good luck
will try the spray on the outside. will not put the adative in. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
43 Posts
will try the spray on the outside. will not put the adative in. Thanks for the info.
Are you keeping tha car as a collector and planning on value going up in future? Could be good idea if low enough miles and still mint condition.
As of today It will be more $ to fix this one oil leak then resale value of the whole vehicle.
I had a 03 dhs it had small leaks i could see oil on oil pan every time i changed oil. But never one drop on garage floor. It burned 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 or it just disappeared :( i drove it like this from 65,000 to 150,000.
Probably be hard to find anyone over 18 that will do it for under $1200

·
Registered
09 cadillac cts4 09 yukon Denali
43 Posts
Are you keeping tha car as a collector and planning on value going up in future? Could be good idea if low enough miles and still mint condition.
As of today It will be more $ to fix this one oil leak then resale value of the whole vehicle.
I had a 03 dhs it had small leaks i could see oil on oil pan every time i changed oil. But never one drop on garage floor. It burned 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 or it just disappeared :( i drove it like this from 65,000 to 150,000.
Sorry about my rant but a gm dealer most likely will be double the price as your average licensed auto shop. Hourly wedge is pretty expensive at gm dealer there great for warranty work.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Car looks and drives like new. You can basically eat off the engine. No Dents or dings anywhere on the car has almost 84,000 miles now since grandson was driving for 3 years and put 40,000 miles on it. Hard to get parts for under the hood and lots of parts are just getting old. Some parts you can still buy but you have to fabricate others. I would get rid of car in a flash but wife will not let me since when you get old in Illinois you have mandatory driving tests and she is used to driving this car. I would drive anything.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry about my rant but a gm dealer most likely will be double the price as your average licensed auto shop. Hourly wedge is pretty expensive at gm dealer there great for warranty work.
some pictures

Attachments

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
619 Posts
That car is gorgeous, if that were mine I would hold on to it and drive it until the wheels fell off, then put the wheels back on and drive it some more.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That car is gorgeous, if that were mine I would hold on to it and drive it until the wheels fell off, then put the wheels back on and drive it some more.
Thanks. Tried to take care of it but I just hate the small drip on driveway when car sits. It sits outside for the last 3 years. I go out and start it up and run it at least once a month.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Found 3 oil pan bolts with oil on them with blue light. One bolt took 4 half turns to tighten. The 2nd just needed a tweek, the 3rd was tight. Cleaned the area with brake cleaning spray. Let it dry the applied 4 coats of outside sealant. Will look at once a month to see if the bolts have oil on them and let you know if the outside spray sealer worked.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,310 Posts
If they leak again, you might try flushing the threads with Brakleen and then use a Permatex thread sealer before reinstalling them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts