Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Eldonrado ETC & 02 DTS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, went to Central Cadillac to get wheel alignment, asked about oil pan gasket and was told they don't sell a gasket anymore. I was told just to buy RTV Gray and run a bead and that is what Cadillac says to do now. Anyone do theirs like this?

Thanks, Dave

----------

And this is on my 02 DTS

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,471 Posts
The RTV Gray repair is covered in an extensive GM TSB concerning oil pan seal leaks.

You remove the engine, invert it, remove the oil pan and thoroughly clean the seal groove and flanges with lacquer thinner. The RTV tip gets cut to a specific bead size. You lay the bead in the groove and reassemble, install the drivetrain and wait 24 hours before adding oil.

You don't just run the stuff around the pan seal area - you must remove the drivetrain from the car OR use the GM engine suspension fixture, car up on a lift, and remove everything, including the transmission, under the engine - cradle included.

The GM labor rate for this little job is 14 hours, so at $100/hour that's $1400 before any necessary parts/materials costs.

Attachments

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts
Ok guys, went to Central Cadillac to get wheel alignment, asked about oil pan gasket and was told they don't sell a gasket anymore. I was told just to buy RTV Gray and run a bead and that is what Cadillac says to do now. Anyone do theirs like this?

Thanks, Dave

----------

And this is on my 02 DTS
=====================
I was told just to buy RTV Gray
and run a bead
and that is what Cadillac says to do now.
Anyone do theirs like this?

kinda surprised they didn't mention
that the engine must be removed from the car -

guess it just slipped his mind -

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,333 Posts
Cadillac may not sell the gasket because they don't use it in production any more. but you can still buy the sealing gasket from most auto parts stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts