Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi back agine me and my 2000 deville ... took it in today for a smell around top of engine thay told me there going to check the water pump . there is a light smell of coolant when you stop at a red light or when i shut the engine off it seems like it's coming from the left top side of the engine ? no leaks of any kind for the coolant..... thay told me some of these cars do this? last one i had smell like this it was a vaule cover gaskit I just replaced it still din't fix it ....let me know if anyone has the same problem.....:hmm: thanks frank......

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
My '97 had a faint coolant smell when I shut it down in the garage. It was very minor seepage from the water pump cover gasket. It never amounted to anything so I never fixed it. Coolant never even showed low, it was that minor.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
I have the same thing on my '01. It's coming from the water pump area, but I'm not sure if it's the pump itself or the housing gasket. Either way I don't lose enough coolant to worry about it. I've been driving the car for a year now and I haven't had to top it off. You can smell it though. The other possibility is the overflow hose. It's on the other side (back left of the engine as you face it). Sometimes they crack and leak.

Until it's a big leak, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts