Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a 97 SLS. Recently I noticed the car sputtering / missing every few seconds rather I was sitting still or moving. It was real noticable when the car was cold / idle, and mildly noticable when it was warm / driving. I don't know if there were any codes at the time, because the SES light was on due to a P0441 code that I haven't been able to track down the culprit of yet.

Anyway I decided to change the spark plugs / wires. During the process I noticed that the plugs in 6 & 8 had a good deal of fresh oil on them. When I took them out some of it dripped on the outside of the cylinder housing.

After finishing the replacement of the spark plugs things are working again, but I am concerned about the oil on those plugs. I am thinking that they were probably fouling which was causing the hesitation / missing I was feeling and that it might happen again. Does anyone have any idea's of what I should check? :)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The o-rings that keeps oil in the valve covers may be leaking, but you would notice it in the plug hole, on top of the plug, not on the plug itself.

When I took my intake off, I noticed alot of fresh oil in the intake, no doubt from the PCV valve, so I can see oil going in the intake valves and getting on the plugs. The would be especially aparant if your oil is overfilled.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,971 Posts
JC is right. Remember, it took 10 years for that amount of oil to accumulate. It was not likely the cause of your misfire. Clean it out when you replace the plugs and do it again in another 10 years.

·
Registered
1997 Seville SLS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well we also had the dealership replace the lower portion of the engine 18 months ago, fix a warped head, replace some scratched up cranck bearings and of course install the thread repair kit for the main bolts ;) I would think that if there was a problem at that time with the o-rings they might have said something.

I plan on taking those plugs out and checking them as soon as I can to see how much oil is on them again. I haven't noticed the problem returning as of yet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts