Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Members

I am new here I have a 2007 SRX V8, I changed all my plugs, all was as normal , but the first plug passenger side closest to the radiator is questionable. I set the socket in and removed the plug, as I pulled it out I noticed oil on the bottom outside of the socket and some oil around the socket nut side of the plug.

I burn no oil, no oily smells, all the other plugs were normal,no miss fires and no oil on the firing end of the plug.
Some of the treads closest to the nut on the plug had oil, but that maybe residue of the oil around the plug as I was threading it out.
Any ideas? I sort of need a reply, because I plan a trip, but I do not want to be on the side of the road later.

Thanks

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
There are O-rings on the plug tubes to seal the cam covers. A small amount of oil would be no big deal. A tube full of oil would be.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say tubes so you mean the coil? No oil on coil tip, and no it as no big amount of oil, I have access to a manual, can you guide me to the page. I have a members manual on a GM site.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plugs thread into where its red correct, so there is a o-ring where?

----------

I see probably number 254 your talking about

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Right.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like if you follow the exact steps in the manual its a doable job, but one you need to take your time with and have the manual on your laptop. Question is it says to disconnect the ECM, is not just disconnecting the battery enough?

Mind you I am not going to attempt this now, but when is the sign it needs replacing? I assume a lot is when the coil exterior is wet? Its already showing a sign of a bad seal if the bottom of the socket had some oil on it.

I assume that probably means no road trip for this truck?

Any thoughts or am I just being paranoid? Like I said it was the bottom of the socket, maybe a mm above the bottom edge of the socket and around the spark plug nut not the insulator, and no smell or oil lose. No excess oil on the threads as I removed it, only some oil around the threads where it seats, from where it seats about 6 threads from there to the gap there was minimal oil. Trip would be about 2000 miles round trip

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
If it were me I wouldn't worry. If you hadn't changed the plugs, how long would you have driven it? If there was enough oil to short out the plug or overflow the tube, that would be time to fix. That's my opinion which cost you ?????

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I am pretty mechanically inclined, love hands on if I have the time, the truck has 56000 miles, I know that's not plug change time on SRX, but it was not me who put in the plugs before I bought the truck, I am the kind of guy that says OK I know the oil is correct/clean, filters changed, transmission oil filter changed an clean, lets have a check at the plugs for grins, set the correct gap, the manual says a gap of 050 the old ones I had were at 054 (probably makes no difference but now it set to SRX manuals gap specs) and as cheap as a good set of plugs are and some hands on its worth it. And I get out of the house!!

To answer your question, if I was not the hands on guy, then it would be safe to say I would have driven it till failure? Not know why and fork out grands to the you know who

Anyway thanks for the tip, much appreciated

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decided not to do a road trip with the leak, a leak is a leak, and this is not visual, so I cannot see if it gets worse, apart from removing the coil every 500 miles. Its a problem that's needs addressing and not one while your on a road trip, could be a mm oil on the socket today, could be flooded 50 miles later. Looks like I need to plan a long weekend.

One question I do have while reading the procedures for doing the seals, is one step requires you to disconnect the ECM, I thought maybe having to disconnect the battery anyway to remove it for ease of access, there would not be any power to disrupt something.
Then I saw the side I am working on needs lifting via a floor jack for access to cam cover bolts, could it be it needs to be removed because there just is not enough length for the rise in motor?
I did not see anything about having to take the truck back to a dealer/thief to re calibrate the ECM if its unplugged, only if you swap out or replace one.

So question is, is it safe to just unplug it and back again after some days?

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Yes, you can unplug and replug, no problem, best if battery is disconnected.
I think you are overworrying the situation. The reason the oil is there is there's enough pressure in the crankcase to push a little oil/oil vapor past the seal where it collects. There is no pool of oil that the tube is submerged in so a catastrophic failure, I would say, is next to impossible.

·
Registered
SRX 07 V8
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coming from you and all your supportive (reliable) replies to members on here, I feel better. Lucky its the first plug passenger side (good it was not the end near the battery), easy access to check, even on the road (I keep a portable Kraftwerk tool box in the back at all times).
Unfortunately my habit will make me check this coil at least every 500 miles in the beginning and then every 1000 till when and if it gets worse. next time use a flash light and look inside, maybe even try a photo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts