Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Deville 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a 1996 Sedan Deville which has been making a really loud noise when at idle, or after I come to a stop. At which time the oil light begins to flicker or become steady.

It doesn't sound like it's coming from inside the block but I have no way to tell, I have included videos so hopefully I can get some help.

The first video is the engine noise

The second video is the oil light, sometimes it becomes solid if I stop for long enough.

The third video is a video of the error codes that are in the history.

So any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Fixed your video links. Definitely does not sound like internal engine noise but rather a pulley or bearing of some kind. Someone will chime in with more info.

·
Registered
Deville 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you, and I'm sorry I posted this in the Northstar thread to I just didn't get a chance to read the little disclaimer after the post.

Also that's a huge relief time to wait for some opinions. Forgot to mention that I originally thought this was the alternator when the car died so I had that replaced and the sound continued. Forgot to mention 2 days before I had the oil/filter changed and the power steering fluid changed.

·
Registered
2003 DHS, 97 BMW Vert, 08 GMC Sierra Crew Cab
87 Posts
Where did you have the oil changed?

I know these engines take 7 1/2 quarts to fill the sump properly. If the oil change tech only replaced 5 1/2 quarts that could be the reason for the oil light.

The recent oil change seems like a smoking gun to me.

The engine noise sounds like the bearings in a tensioner pulley. I haven't had to replace one on a N* yet, but I have on many other engines.

·
Registered
Deville 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
They put in 7 I believe or at least the receipt has an extra charge for the quarts, and I'm not sure of the places name it's an express oil change place. I did use semi-synthetic and I hadn't looked into what type I should use but I've been reading up on that for atleast an hour.

And those bearings is that a major job? I'm a plumber not a mechanic so you'll have to forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I don't own a Northstar but it sounds like a tensioner bearing failing to me. The oil change places usually use the cheapest oil available and it is probably pretty thin and your engine is getting looser as it ages.

·
Registered
Deville 1996
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm guessing a shop is going to have to find and replace that bearing, is this something serious or just one of those things with age?

Also any suggestions about a specific oil to put in? Rostella is what I've been reading though my forum searches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts