Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, today I've been driving down my Cadillac Seville 1997 just for fun, but I had a warning situation. After leaving highway I drove to city, low traffic, and then I realised my engine temperature is rising. When engine coolant was about 100 celsius degrees (212 f) engine oil light flashed once, when coolant reached 106 c (223 f) engine oil light turned on constantly and the "stop engine" message appeared. I stopped the car immediatly. After cooling it down I drove straight home, engine oil lamp was gone and maximum temperature was 100 c. Engine was dry, no steam, no leaks, no malfunction codes. Ambient temperature was +31 c (88 f). Coolant temperature on the highway was between 88 - 94 c (180 - 201 f) for about 30 minutes of driving.

My engine was recently rebuild, new head gaskets, new water pump, new spark plugs, filters, oil etc. The only thing left for repair is air conditioning system (I'll do it next week) so electric fans don't work constantly. I read that they turn on when engine coolant reaches 225 f if the AC is off, I didn't try it, I don't want to overheat the engine.

I'm afraid a bit with this situation, firstly I know that Northstar engines are sensitive to temperature and 106 celsius degree seems a bit too much for me. Maybe it was not a good idea to drive this car through the city, even with low traffic, when the AC system is broken. I hope I didn't damage anything. Secondly, this oil light is wondering, it has never come on before. What do you think about this situation? Should I be afraid about my engine?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,326 Posts
Your engine is perfectly fine even at 236F. No reason for an oil pressure warning to show at 223F, the temp at which fans go to SLOW in heavy or stalled traffic.

Perfectly normal for a slight temperature rise after a highway run and slowdown, but the oil pressure light has nothing to do with coolant temperature. Northstars have been known to show false oil pressure icons during hot idle. The fix is to replace the oil pressure sending switch with a genuine branded AC Delco part. Check the wiring and connector first. Small hands and much patience. 1997 Northstar - 10W-30 conventional or synthetic engine oil.

www.rockauto.com.

Oil filter adapter.gif

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Submariner, thank you for the reply, you helped me again. :)

In he next week I'will check out this switch, if necessary I'will replace it. Thank you once again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts