Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
none
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new cadillac cts 2014 (v6) 6 Months back, but I have noticed that the Oil Life is dropping faster than what I was expecting, knowing that I do get a free service every 15,000 KM, is it normal for oil life to go as little as 20% for a car that has done only less than 5,000 KM ??... Any reason for this happen in normal situations ??..

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
It all depends on your driving conditions; ambient temps, rpm's, idleing, short trips etc. Its a chip in the PCM that counts down engine revolutions determined by a computer program, there is nothing sampling of the oil. There is no set rule of how long it should last.

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
The oil life monitor is algorithm based and takes many factors into consideration. In general though cars that are driven longer periods of time at sustained cruising speeds tend to take longer to count down the monitor as do cars in warm dry environments. Cars that are driven short trips, aren't allowed to spend much time warming up, idle for extended periods will count down faster. In general cold and wet is the worst environment for oil life so cold and wet climates affect the monitor differently than hot dry environments. But, I would use the monitor. And I would use a premium oil and filter. The monitor may count differently in the heat of summer than it has over the winter and spring. Also if your driving is predominantly short trips. You could try consolidating more trips which is better for your car in a lot of different ways. At least Cadillacs have a system that monitors real world variables and alerts the driver to when more frequent maintenance is needed and doesn't just let us ruin our engines.

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
1,019 Posts
I just had my second service at 20% and had gone only about 3500 miles since the last change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts