Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the stupid question, but honestly I am not very knowledgable when it comes to automotive mechanics. My check oil level message came on today and I only have 3,500 miles on the V. Sure enough, the level is low, which seems odd to me since I don't see any leaks. Is this normal? The only mod I have is a Magnaflow exhaust, which I installed approximately 1500 miles ago. Since then, I've also noticed that the inside of the exhaust tips has been turning black. Does this mean the car is running rich? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
cram said:
Pardon the stupid question, but honestly I am not very knowledgable when it comes to automotive mechanics. My check oil level message came on today and I only have 3,500 miles on the V. Sure enough, the level is low, which seems odd to me since I don't see any leaks. Is this normal? The only mod I have is a Magnaflow exhaust, which I installed approximately 1500 miles ago. Since then, I've also noticed that the inside of the exhaust tips has been turning black. Does this mean the car is running rich? If so, what can I do about it? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
It's not uncommon for an LS6 to burn a quart every 3K miles. As for the black tips, well, the motor does not (I think) meet the 2008 ULEV reqs, so a little darkening of the exhaust is normal. A lot is not normal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. The tips ARE only a little black, so I feel more relieved now.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The engine sucks quite a bit of oil out the crankcase vent into the intake manifold....modern emissions, aint they great! I recently installed a homemade oil catch can and I have a teaspoon or so of oil every day. If I wasn't catching it in the bottle, it'd be going into my intake.
Oil use is normal, but monitor it closely. If you're going through more than a quart every 3k miles, there's something wrong.
-ace

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
ace996